The Big Island

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Travel Blog

Halema'uma'u Crater

On the second day, we got up early and took a flight to the big island of Hawai'i.  We took three island hopper flights in all during the trip.  They are short and sweet, but can have some spectacular views.  You can even spot humpback whales if it's the right time of year.  After landing in Hilo, we headed to Volcanoes National Park.  A coworker of mine had just been two weeks before and there was no activity.  In between my visit and his, lava destroyed three abandoned houses.  Activity is really hit or miss as I am about to explain.

As we arrived to the visitor station, there was a lot of hustle and bustle as rangers were explaining to all visitors that parts of the road ahead and the book store and museum were closed due to SO2 venting.

Rainbow Falls
  There were signs warning against the dangerous levels at every turn and you could see "steam" rising from the ground in the most peculiar places.  This prevented us from driving around Crater Rim Drive, but we were able to take the Chain of Craters Road down to the ocean.  This road leads to the closure caused by flows from 1983 to 2000's.  We approached the closure from within the national park on the south side.  We then hiked just a little bit of the 8 mile wide old lava flows that cover the rest of the road.  Little did we know that there was a flow event occurring on the other end of the closure if we had entered from the county side to the north.  For the rest of our trip, we saw several news reports of thousands of spectactors flocking to see the flow reach the ocean.  Our timing was off by just the slightest bit.

The rest of the day we drove to some falls not too far outside of Hilo.  This was the only time during the trip that we encoutered rain.  It was raining very heavily when we visited Akaka Falls.  That meant that I didn't get very good pictures of this 442 foot tall waterfall.

eatersue says:
wow! These are amazing pics. I can't wait for my guided tour soon! I will be with Dynamic Hawaii! Thanks for sharing!
Posted on: Oct 20, 2016