Balmy London Evening

London Travel Blog

Well - this has taken me some time to write up but here goes...

Train down:

Midland Mainline - why are your trains so rubbish?  And why does it take two and a half hours to get to London from Sheffield?  At least I’ve discovered my new favourite departure time being the 15.27 which is preferable because a) it is never very busy and b) I can leave work early to get it and c) it still gets me to London at a reasonable time.  It turned out to be quite a nice sunny afternoon for the time of year - more exceptional when you consider the rubbish weather we’ve had for most of the summer!!

St Pancrass:

The major reconstruction work continues apace but it’s taken them years to get this far!!  At least we’re now starting to see signs of the final resolution as some international ticket halls have now sprung up on the ground floor in anticipation of the Channel Tunnel trains commencing here.

They’ve finally re-opened part of the original building and the trains arrive into that part but this means that the walk from the main entrance to the platform is even further as you zig zag backwards and forwards through different levels.

The new underground station is definitely an improvement on the cramped and dilapidated Kings Cross one although the large open space as you go in does seem a bit excessive.

Victoria Line:

Apparently it’s much hotter on the Victoria Line than on other tubes in the city because it’s so far underground.  And it was certainly hot today - by the time I’d gone a few stops I’d got a real sweat on.

Radisson Grafton:

After a close call when Expotel tried to book me into the Euston Thistle which has to be one of the worst hotels I’ve ever stayed in I was pleased to end up at the Grafton.  I’d stayed here the other week when I last came down and although the hotel isn’t a world beater (decent but not out of the ordinary - see review) it’s position on Tottenham Court Road means you’re in close proximity to plenty of places to eat of an evening - particularly on the nearby Charlotte Street.

Charlotte Street:

I’ve decided I love this road - wall to wall restaurants interspersed with some thriving pubs (not bars but proper pubs) it’s a great place to head for when out on the expense account in London.  The evening was still particularly warm so the whole road was thronging with people heading for one eateries or another.  The fine weather meant that loads of people were sat at the pavement tables that line the street which adds to the proper European atmosphere of it all.

After a wander up and down the road to peruse the various menus I decided to plump for Thai on the first evening and ended up in Thai Metro (see review.)  Some food, a good book (I was on my own) and a few glasses of red wine later and it was getting dark and I headed back to the hotel.  The warm weather meant the whole road was still buzzing and it was a pity I was on my own at this point as I could have happily stopped off for a few pints at one of the inviting looking pubs but I’ve never been one for pubbing on my own...

Higton says:
I LOVE this idea, nice one Dougal. I´m looking forward to it.
Posted on: Sep 13, 2006
J-Max says:
Well, that's not very inventive is it? "text to come" indeed...

Is someone ghost writing this for you???
Posted on: Sep 11, 2006
London Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
The Thai Metro is situated about half way down Charlotte Street and to my mind is really more of a Café than a restaurant.  The interior is more fun… read entire review
London Hotels & Accommodations review
The Radisson Grafton is your typical large London hotel, catering for business travellers and the usual stream of tourists (usually coach parties of A… read entire review
London