Leaving Merida

Merida Travel Blog

We are now leaving Merida and awaiting our next bus to Campeche.  I think it will be about a 2-3 hour ride.  Merida is a great city and while I am sad to leave the familiarity of it I am excited to see what else Mexico has to offer.  We changed hostels yesterday and spent our last day in the upstairs part of a beautiful old building with balconies overlooking the busy town center.  There we drank rum and played cards with an odd American writer who had escaped Florida for his hacienda in Mexico 22 years ago.  He was a small man who could not stop telling us how he never meets Americans in Mexico.  Over and over again.  We also met some friendly Aussies and enjoyed the company of the large family that ran the Hostel Zocalo.  Of Merida I will hopefully remember the brightly colored buildings, the friendly locals, salsa dancing in the streets at night, eating lots of cheese, and the occasional evening storms that envelope the night sky with lightning.  And the fact that the strangest people I meet down here are usually American. O well, onward to Campeche!
photo by: Cho