Seeing Mansions

Newport Travel Blog

Chateau Sur Mer
With an earlier start this morning, we went to the visitor center in Newport and bought a pass to visit 5 mansions. We also took the trolley for transportation which ended up being a waste. It was nice for the drive to the 1st mansion but then you had to wait around for what seemed like an eternity to catch it again, so we ended up walking and only saw 3 mansions. The 1st one was the ELMS that was a self guided audio tour. Elms was built in 1901 for a coal baron. This was actually my favorite of all. I liked being able to go at my own pace and also being able to hear. (with the help of headphones) We walked to Chateau-sur-Mer, built in 1852 and was the 1st of the mansions. This was one of the few that was a year round residence. The rest were summer homes only! I just can't imagine. We then walked to the biggest one of all the BREAKERS. After a hour long wait in line outside, we finally got in. This one is against the Atlantic Ocean and only saw a few rooms for as big as it is. This was a summer home for Cornelius Vanderbilt. By this time, the rest of the mansions were closed and we did wait for the trolley to take us back. We had dinner and walked part of the cliff walk at night which was a little spooky but pretty cool only hearing the sound of the ocean and not able to see it.  By the end of the day, Nicole said, "You see one mansion, you've seen them all." Not me I have to see ALL of them.
the Elms