Volunteer project - Shuar community at Arutam

Puyo Travel Blog

OK so after I'm all Spanished-up I'll be heading to the voluntary placement I've signed-up to.  It is with a small indigenous community (the Shuar community) who look after a massive strech of Ecuadorian/Peruvian jungle.  Unfortunately (/ironically) they speak Shuar, so there's another language that I'll get confused by!

I plan to spend 4-5 weeks living with the community.  Volunteer activities include teaching the few children they have at the local school (God help them, I'm crap with children), constructing buildings (rubbish at that too) and planting stuff (have some experience with the successful garden-improvements at 36 Slinn Street, not sure the Amazon rainforest is quite the same as laying some grass seed and watching it grow...).

It should be really interesting and challenging.  More info on the community can be found at there impressive website: www.fundecoipa.com.  Not sure how they set it up though as there's no internet access where I'm staying (I don't think) so you might not hear from me for a few weeks.  Doesn't mean I'll be dead, though obviously the jungle's full of snakes, spiders etc so I probably will be.  Anyway, the website says you can buy a Capybara to help support the community.  Don't know how that helps, but DO IT NOW!! : http://www.fundecoipa.com/Support.html

counsel says:
Hi Simon. I've read your blog about volunteering. Actually i'm searching a volunteering programme abroad. Can you instruct me with the project that you had joined before? The safety, the payment section and your work as a volunteer in there...
Posted on: Aug 14, 2011