Valle de la Luna - Chilean version!

San Pedro de Atacama Travel Blog

The mountains at sunset, turned red

Ok, so as if the variety of landscapes Bolivia had to offer weren´t enough, the first thing I do in northern Chile is hop on a coach trip to see their version of a Lunar landscape (see similar in La Paz entry).

The first thing we were taken to was a wonderful stone formation and distant view of hazy mountains, called the Valley of Mars as if this was a landscape from that planet rather than the moon.  I don´t know how they know what the difference really is, perhaps they have valleys named after each planet.....  Anyway, it was either the Valley of Mars or the Valley of the Dead (muertes in Spanish, they sound similar so no-one really knows).  Anyhow, it was very beautiful.

Then we saw a deep dorge cliff thing, very nice too, and onto a massive sand dune which we climbed and walked all the way along to admire the view as the sunset over this striking location.  The distant mountains turned red, and the shadows created were dramatic, but by this time I was tired of living in ´surreal´landscapes and yearned for the dullness of normality!!!

(My God there are so many people playing shoot and kill computer games in this internet cafe it sounds like a fucking warzone).

View of dried up river bed
View of dried up river bed
A massive sand dune to walk across
A massive sand dune to walk across
And seen from the other side, a gr…
And seen from the other side, a g…
San Pedro de Atacama