Pastoruri Glacier

Huaraz Travel Blog

Ok, this is not the glacier but the llamas with sunglasses are pretty cool I´m sure you´ll agree!

Took a day trip to the Pastoruri glacier with Tom and Beth, and although it didn´t look like the traditional glacier I´d been expecting - a steep sheet of ice between two equally steep mountain cliffs - it was still pretty cool to be walking up and on one.  Especially when I decided it´d be interesting to have a look at a crevice just beyond the edge of the snow, and promtly found the snow underfoot collapsing and me in a 1 metre deep hole.  Thanks to Tom for pulling me out or I might still be there!

The glacier was at 5200 metres high which, I think, is as high as I´ve been on land.  But we survived the altitude better than at Churup lake, and on the way we were shown some very tall plants that (when flowering) have thousands of flowers in bloom.  [I´m sure that Helen, my landscape architecture friend, will leave a commetn with the name of these plants!!].  More exciting were the llamas that had been dressed up in tradtional Andean outfits and sunglasses just for tourists to take photos of.  Awful and tacky, but I obliged!!

Overall the views were pretty spectacular once again and it was fun at least attempting (if not succeeding) to slide down the glacier using my rain jacket as a sledge!

Ok, this is not the glacier but th…
Ok, this is not the glacier but t…
The view from the glacier