A relaxing day

San Pedro de Atacama Travel Blog

Altiplanico

Went down to breakfast and what a spread!  The usual variety of bread/toast, jam, local cereals, fruit, juice, also sweet and dry biscuits, what looked like dulce de leche pie and lemon meringue pie.  Decided to have brunch and ignore lunch.  Breakfast is from 7 until 10 am.

Stayed in the restaurant until around 12, sorting out the blog, answering emails.  Then went into town.  Bought 4 pairs of earrings; I left my only (cheap) earrings at Jose’s I think, as I can’t find them.  1.000p, AUD2.31 a pair.  Bought some sticks of coffee 500p, AUD1.15 a little stick as I can’t find mine and suspect that I left my tiny bottle at Jose’s too.

Altiplanico, outside my room
  Bottle diet coke was 600p, AUD1.39.

Last night at the “observatory” I wore two pairs of thermal underwear under my pants, a thermal top with two more tops and my polar coat; I wore two pairs of sox, one thermal, one ordinary nylon and sneakers and thermal gloves with thermal inner gloves.  My ears got cold and after a while my feet also, but many people weren’t wearing suitable clothing and were very cold.  Eg they wore only jeans on their legs and/or had no warm jacket suitable for the freezing temperatures.  This obviously happens a lot as the lady whose home it was (out in the sticks), produced warm jackets to lend to those who didn’t have them.

The days here are t-shirt weather or a light top early morning, late arvo and you get sunburnt very easily.

Bedroom, walk through robe and bathroom beyond
  But the nights are bitterly cold.  I decided that next time I go out at night I want to be warmer, so I bought a typical knitted hat with flaps over the ears 2.500p, AUD5.80; you’ve all seen pictures of natives wearing them and probably thought they looked silly, but they’re essential for the cold nights here.  I also bought an alpaca scarf 3.000 to 4.000p, AUD7 to 9 (can’t remember).

Bought a postcard for Marj but couldn’t get a stamp as the post office closes for lunch; the pharmacy closes for lunch from 2 until 4:30.  All the touristy places eg tour offices and souvenir shops are open all day, along with a large variety of eating places.  You can tell this is a small town as there’s no MacDonald’s.  There are tourists everywhere; mainly backpackers in their 20’s, many from England.

Dusty road to San P
  Some are from other parts of South America and I also hear German and French spoken.

I booked a tour of the nearby Valley of the Moon and Valley of the Dead for tomorrow afternoon.

Went back to the room and read a little, then went to dinner around 6:45, 13.000p, AUD29.35.  I think that is expensive, but then I’m staying in an expensive place.  The dinner is excellent; as good as you would find anywhere and better than most.  First there is some bread, a bit like garlic bread with a really nice dip to go with it.  A generous serve of carrot and ginger soup.  The main course is salmon served with some potato and a green vegetable a bit like spinach.  Dessert is a generous helping of sort of like chocolate ice cream with berries and a toffee swirl.  Tea, coffee and water are free all day.  I sit in the restaurant with my puter until around 10, then back to the room.

The bad news is that I think I’m getting a cold, but I did bring Demazin in my assortment of goodies.  Altitude here is around 2,400 metres ASL but I haven’t noticed anything at all; no shortness of breath or tiredness.

Altiplanico, outside my room
Bedroom, walk through robe and bat…
Bedroom, walk through robe and ba…
Typical scene