Wednesday..............Miraflores

Lima Travel Blog

Cathedral, Plaza de Armas

More hammering this morning.

I am picked up at 10 for a three hour tour of Lima.  I find out fairly quickly that the “guide” doesn’t speak any English and also doesn’t seem to know the answers to my questions.  She is very vague.  She kept grabbing my arm and trying to steer me, which I found very irritating.  At one point she asks me if I want to see the Church of San Francisco.  I find myself doing a tour with a guide and a group of people.  It was interesting, lasted ¾ hour, saw the church and catacombs where 26,000 people were buried and the guide waited in the foyer.  All rather dumb when I’m paying USD12 per hour for a guide to sit and wait.

When the planned three hours were up I told her that I was going off on my own.

Archbishop's home, Plaza de Armas
  She kept telling me that she would wait for me; I kept telling her that I didn’t want her to wait.  I finally was rid of her around 1 pm.  Can’t remember her name; I found her Spanish often difficult to understand.

I got her to drop me off at Miraflores on the beach.  This is a (the?) swanky seaside suburb. And there was a mostly expensive shopping centre with lots of restaurants, particularly overlooking the ocean.  I finally settled on a restaurant and had a leisurely lunch watching the paragliders.  There were up to eight at a time flying past.  Wandered around the shops and then went back to Casa Bella.

No sun.  Lima is really dreary this time of year.

Archbishops home, Plaza de Armas