Tuesday..........day ferry trip to Tallinn, Capital of Estonia

Helsinki Travel Blog

Arriving Tallinn, very dreary

Had breakfast, which was quite good, although certainly not at the standard of the Clarion Sign in Stockholm.  Caught a cab to the Terminal to catch the ferry to Tallinn.  I had paid E132, AUD228  for a return ticket in the business lounge.  The other area was less than half this amount, but I wasn’t sure what that option would be.

Was on the ferry shortly after 10; left at 10:30 for the 2 hour trip.  The business lounge was nice with hot breakfast plus cake, biscuits etc and variety of drinks, including alcohol.  However the other areas of the boat were at a high standard, not just rows of plastic seats, so I could easily have sat elsewhere.  Not sure how crowded other areas were.

Used the wifi to download photos onto the blog, however had forgotten my charger, so won’t be able to do as much as I want to as battery will only last around 3 hours.

Great Coast Gate, C16th

Arrive at Tallinn which is overcast, drizzling rain and dreary.  Set off walking in wrong direction, as usual.  See a tourist bus so go in that direction and suddenly realize that I’m right near the old town of Tallinn, which is the big attraction here.  Spend the afternoon walking around the old town, which was founded in 1154.  Run out of time for using the tourist bus.

The rain has stopped, so it’s quite pleasant.  There are many old, interesting buildings and also many souvenir shops and restaurants.  Souvenirs are varied with linen, knitwear, amber jewellery and the wooden dolls that fit inside each other, being especially popular.  I decide to buy some amber jewellery in dark green, but don’t find exactly what I want, so don’t buy any.

Fat Margaret Cannon Tower, C16th. Previously barracks and prison

I walk back to the ship and it’s a long way, especially as I go to the wrong terminal and there’s no shortcut to the terminal that I want.  My feet are very sore when I arrive around 7 pm.  The ship doesn’t leave until 9, but embarkation is at 8:20 and until that time I use the free wifi.  On board ship I use the wifi until the puter battery dies, but at least I’ve downloaded most of what I want to do.  Have a couple of glasses of wine, plus dinner on board and the ship docks in Helsinki at 11 pm.   Catch a taxi to the hotel and watch the US Open, again!

Great Coast Gate, C16th
Fat Margaret Cannon Tower, C16th. …
Fat Margaret Cannon Tower, C16th.…
Inside  St Olafs Church C13th