Tuesday........... Lima

Lima Travel Blog

Bedroom

This morning I wake to the sound of hammering.  They’re building behind this house and also next door and/onto this house.  Very noisy.  Have breakfast and then ask Orlando (manager) about arranging a visit to the local doctor.  My knee is getting worse, not better, so think that I need another opinion.  We arrange an appointment for 6 pm today.

Then some local travel agents come and talk to me about visiting the Nasca Lines on Thursday.  I’ve decided to do it as a day trip from Lima, though on second thoughts it probably would have been better to have gone there on the way to Lima.  I’m to be picked up here at 4 am!  I don’t have enough money to pay cash, so they come with me to a local atm.

Guest sitting room outside bedroom
  There’s a queue of about 15 people.  Fortunately there’s another atm without a queue across the road, so I go there.  I can only get out USD200 at a time.  The day is costing USD385.  So I have to get out another USD200.   It’s all in $20 notes, lucky travel agent.  I also speak to them about going to Trujillo and Chiclayo and they’re going to leave me a quote later today.

Lima is expensive, or so it seems, more so than Cusco or Arequipa.  At other places I’ve never been charged for using my credit card, but Casa Bella, the restaurant last night and the travel agent will charge me if I use my credit card, so I prefer to pay cash.

I ask Orlando about hiring a driver and having a tour this afternoon before I go to the doctor, but he says it’s too crowded in the afternoons and the morning is really the only time to go.

Building noise
  So, it’s all rather boring as my knee is sore and I really can’t go out walking; the visit to the atm was the limit for today.  I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up with my knee in the splint again.  How boring.  A taxi is ordered for the visit to the clinic and I get there in plenty of time.  Cost is NS13.  The doctor is (I think) an orthopaedic surgeon/specialist.  He actually sees me before my appointment time!   The conversation is mostly in Spanish.  I am becoming adept in describing what has happened and who said what.  He says that I need an MRI as an xray isn’t giving enough information.  He says that I don’t have fissures in the bone and that it isn’t a ligament problem (I think he said that).  He thinks it’s something between the femur and tibia/fibula connection.  I’m not sure what.
New York - casino - how gaudy
  He must be a specialist in knees as he has the requisite model of the knee with moving parts.  He is really lovely, not at all haughty like the Bolivian dr.  He gives me his mobile phone number and says that I have to ring him.  I’m not sure why, I think when I’ve had the MRI.  I tell him I’m leaving Lima on Saturday.  The doctor’s visit is NS200, AUD73.

I go downstairs to the MRI area, it’s about 6:30 when I speak to someone.  Would 7 pm tonight suit?  Of course.  So I go back to the doctor’s receptionist.  She doesn’t speak English and she speaks Spanish very quickly, so is quite a challenge.  A couple of the people in the waiting room join in; everyone is very friendly.  They say Buenos noches, even though we’re just fellow patients.  After much discussion I make another appointment for Friday morning.  Then I go back to have the MRI.  Ghastly things, lying still for 35 minutes is something that my body hates.  At least I knew what to expect and a knee isn’t as bad, no head inside the machine.

After I leave I decide to find somewhere to eat.  I feel like a glass of wine and perhaps Japanese or Chinese food as I can see some bright lights that look hopeful.  First place is Japanese, sake, no wine.  Second is casino, no thanks.  Third is Japanese, but martial arts academy, don’t think so.  Fourth, fifth and sixth are Chinese restaurants but only sell wine by bottle.  Seventh is Chinese, but no wine at all.  Eighth is casino.  OK, I give up.  Ninth, where I go is MacDonalds, BigMac, small fries and 2 orange juices.  Taxi back to house is NS4; remember it was NS13 to the Clinic and I haven’t walked that far.
Lima