Tuesday.........Getting ready for the big day tomorrow

Managua Travel Blog

View from breakfast, to the right

I have a shower, now this is a different shower.  There’s only one tap, but a shower head that sends out slightly warm water when the tap is turned onto full and another hand-held hose which sends out even warmer water.  I manipulate the hose so that basically both lots of water are coming from roughly the same direction.

I go to breakfast around nine; it’s in the place where I thought that it would be and there are eggs if you want them.  I settle for toast, fruit and yoghurt.  The view is beautiful.  During breakfast I receive a phone call from Freddie, a Plan person in Managua, and he suggests that I stay in Juigalpa for the night after the visit, so that I can stay a little longer at my visit with Geisell.

View from breakfast, to the left
  It’s very last minute stuff, so I check out accommodation in Juigalpa and choose a place that has wifi and even a spa in the best room, if it’s available.  I email Freddie and ask him to arrange the accommodation.  I decide to take Freddie up on his offer to visit the Plan office.

I book a taxi, which will cost me USD6.20, expensive, as apparently if I get a taxi in the street it will cost less than USD3.  But I’m still not sure of making my way around here, so opt for the booking.  When I get to the office, Freddie introduces me around and I spend some time with different people.

Later the Plan driver takes me to a shop where I can buy pencils, books, stapler, pens etc to give to Geisell tomorrow.

Plan office, Managua
  I walk to the nearby Metro Centro for a couple more things and then catch a taxi, first to drop off my purchases at Casa San Juan and then to another shopping centre, Galerias.  I get a quote for the fare, USD5.00.  I realize how badly I was ripped off last night at USD17!

I wander around Galerias and buy 9 nice plastic glasses as a gift for the family tomorrow and then go to a restaurant, sit outside under cover, it’s pouring rain, and have a small dinner.  There is free public wifi in the area; seems really strange in a country like Nicaragua.

I have to walk down some wide, very wet, slippery steps to go back into the centre, pick up the glasses and catch a taxi.

Outside Plan office, Managua, wealthy area
  As I do so, I wonder how anyone can put down tiles like this in a place where it rains so much.  I hear someone call out, look down and there’s a young female worker who obviously thinks that the steps are dangerous.  There’s nothing much that I can do as there’s no other way down and I’m being careful.  Then the girl comes and helps me down the stairs so that I don’t slip!  I am stunned; I must look older than I feel.  However, it was very nice of her to help me.  I catch a taxi back to Casa San Juan, check price first, USD2.50.

Because of the change of accommodation I have to be packed and ready to go at 7 am tomorrow, a bit of a challenge, so I get myself as organized as possible tonight.   I've gotten used to (great language, English) Casa San Juan now, and it's very nice when the slightly grumpy girl isn't there; the other lady is very helpful.

Nicaragua, wealthier area
  It was quiet last night; I'd been a bit worried because some of the walls are so thin.

Tomorrow I will meet Geisell, the 12 year old girl Nicaraguan girl with whom I have corresponded for about five years, and who has been the recipient of my letters, written both in English and Spanish, just in case the Spanish is undecipherable.  (At least the translators can understand my English)  Geisell and her family live in the village of Santo Domingo, about one and a half hours drive on an unmade road from Juigalpa, which is around two hours from Managua, the capital of Nicaragua.

Plan office, Managua
Outside Plan office, Managua, weal…
Outside Plan office, Managua, wea…
Driving in Managua
Driving in Managua
Carrion?  No thanks.
Carrion? No thanks.
Girls party shop.  Birthday party…
Girls' party shop. Birthday part…
Managua