Tuesday..........Arrival in Arequipa

Arequipa Travel Blog

About to leave Arequipa

Farewelled the others around 8:30 and then packed my bag and tidied up.  Today is Inti Raymi and they are going to the Plaza to see the celebrations.  Although I’ve bought next to nothing, my suitcase is very heavy.  I also have pack the splint, just in case I need it.  Fortunately I can always find someone to do the heavy work for me.  Roy has decided that he would like to take me to the airport, which is very kind of him and saves me the hassles of an unknown taxi driver.  I check in at LAN and the Qantas Club/FF number is printed on the ticket, so I get my window seat.  I then have to go to another point and pay USD4.28 tax.  I farewell Roy, who gives me his email address.  I have got on very well with Gloria and Roy; we are the same generation.

We leave at around 2:30.

betwee Arequipa and Juliaca
  The flight is very short, first we go to Juliaca, which I have read doesn’t have anything much other than the airport.   It certainly looks rather bleak.  Between Cusco and Juliaca the plane is only about ¼ full and I have no-one next to me, but many people get on at Juliaca and the two empty seats are filled.  John N, it’s a 3 + 3.  We land at Arequipa at around 4:15.  I get off and the plane goes on to Lima.  I have arranged for someone to meet me.  I see the man holding up my name and ask security if I can get him to help me with my bag.  They allow him to come into the baggage area.  Oh, to explain, in South American airports that I’ve been to, only passengers are allowed into the baggage area.
Desolate Juliaca
  I guess it’s because if they allowed everyone entry, poorer people could/would steal baggage and it would be impossible to control.  At La Paz even passengers had to show a receipt that matched their baggage before leaving the baggage area.

We arrive at Casa de Avila, Av. San Martin 116, Vallecito, Arequipa.  Telephone (54) 21377, AH (54) 223141  www.casadeavila.com  Pick up from airport and 5 nights accommodation (includes  single room with ensuite and wifi, basic breakfast) USD90.  Tour to Colca Canyon 26/27 June, including 1 night’s accommodation USD35.

I have some difficulty connecting to the wifi, as I have to change the IP addresses and DNS, rather than just put in a password.

Coming into Arequipa
  I almost have it sorted when the manager? comes and fixes it for me.  The staff are very friendly and helpful.

I decide to go into the Plaza de Armas (main square) and a taxi costs NS2.5, AUD0.90.  I don’t want to walk in this area after dark; there aren’t many people around.  I’m also told not to go to a particular area and only to catch certain taxis.  I know that there have been attacks recently, particularly on women, in Arequipa.  I get out at the Plaza, there are plenty of people and also a conspicuous police presence.  Arequipa has been considered a safe city; not sure whether they’ve just had recent problems.  Anyway I don’t intend doing anything stupid.

I know why people think that Arequipa is a very attractive city; the Plaza is beautiful, with definite similarities to the Plaza at Cusco.

Airport Arequipa
  I go into the supermarket.  I notice that some people are checking in bags, but I ignore this and wander around, buying some water and Skittles.  No-one challenges me.  I suspect this is because of my hair colour and age.  I walk around the Plaza, then go upstairs and have a meal on the balcony.  There is an outdoor eating area, with different restaurants.  It’s the middle of winter, but mild enough to eat outside at 7 o’clock.  I have a shrimp cocktail and the sauce is very similar to the one that we make, Judy.  I’m not really keen on a lot of the Peruvian food and it’s nice to have a change.

When I go to catch a taxi, I ask how much it costs to go to the Casa de Avila, but the taxi drivers don’t know where it is.  Eventually I catch a taxi and he asks for the directions on the radio; it’s not very far.  The building is old, but perhaps it’s changed its name recently.

It’s lovely to be in a room that isn’t cold, although there’s no heating.  I even have cable again.

My room, Casa de Avila, Arequipa
My room, Casa de Avila, Arequipa
Plaza de Armas, Arequipa
Eating area, 1st floor, Plaza de A…
Eating area, 1st floor, Plaza de …
Arequipa