Thursday..........Juigalpa to Granada

Granada Travel Blog

Picked up by the Plan driver before 9 and driven to Granada.  Plan offered to take me there, as I wasn’t going back to Managua.  There are three other Plan staff in the back seat and they’re all going to Managua after I’m dropped off in Granada.  Granada is really tricky as nearly all streets in the centre are one way streets.  We seem to go round in circles (rectangles) before we finally arrive at Hotel Terrasol.

Shortly afterwards I am greeted by owners Katya and Victor (also the chef, and a good one).  I tell them how glad I am to be there, that I didn’t get a hot shower last night.  They say there is no hot shower in the hotel.  At first I think they’re joking, but then I realize they aren’t.  In South America I always checked to ensure that there was hot water before booking; I’ve forgotten that I need to also check in Nicaragua.

I have lunch at the hotel, order the frituras de camarones and can taste the chilli.  I guess it’s like people who taste Vegemite as adults and just don’t have the palate for it.  There’s only a tiny amount of chilli but it’s all that I can taste, so I don’t eat much.  Don’t get charged for it.  Use the wifi and then arrange a full day tour of local sights, leaving tomorrow at 8:30 am.  Late afternoon I go for a walk; it’s hot and humid, even more so than in Panama.  It’s getting dark and I’m a little lost (yes, it is possible to get a little lost).  Although I have a map, not all the streets are marked on it and the streets themselves aren’t always marked.  I’m getting a bit anxious, the streets are not well lit, but finally I reach the bomberos (Fire station) , know where I am, and am soon back at the hotel.  Have dinner while using the wifi.  Glass of wine USD2.

Go to my room and hear this loud, vibrating noise.  Lucky me, not only are there cold showers but I scored the room with the airconditioner compressors outside.  I have a feeble attempt at a shower, but it’s too cold to wash my hair.  I sleep with my head at the bottom of the bed, away from the vibrations at the bedhead and turn on the mini taperecorder that I brought.  The theory is to drown out someone else’s noise with my own.  Leave the aircon on all night; haven’t done that anywhere else.  Anyway, I have a good sleep.

Hotel Terrasol USD35 pn plus tax around 13%.  Cable, aircon (USD25 pn plus tax if only fan), restaurant on site, ensuite (tiny shower), wifi in dining and lobby areas, but no aircon there, no hot water.  Central location.  Katya and Vic are extremely helpful and accommodating, tours arranged.

photo by: monoli