Sunday..........last day in Panama

Panama City Travel Blog

Raining - Sunday morning. View from Canal House

Do the blog in bed until 9:15, then shower.  Continue with blog during/after breakfast

until after 12.  The guys next door decide this is a good time to get out the jackhammers.  There is a lot of construction/renovation going on in this area.  I want to go to the Museo del Canal Interoceanico but it’s pouring rain now, so may as well continue with the blog.

I finally get to the museo after 1 pm, cost USD2 and the guard checks my bag when I arrive and leave.  I get some amusement from the lady who takes the money.  Her whole spiel is in Spanish, including telling me that the museum is only in Spanish.

Iglesia de la Merced
  Not sure what happens to those who only speak English.

But the museum really is very interesting and for USD2 is an absolute bargain.  I spend around 1 1/2 hours there, buy a couple of souvenirs in the shop, and then go to visit some of the sights that I haven’t seen already.  First is the Iglesia de Merced, which was built in 1680 and then transferred, stone by stone, from its original site.  It is one of Casco Viejo’s oldest buildings.  Next is Plaza Herrera, recommended as lively and for people watching, but it’s been raining and the only people there scare me a little.  It’s obviously a poor area and I ignore a man who calls out to me.  Probably these are the people that I need to worry about least, but I have to be very careful.  I don’t want to be rude, but would rather be rude than stupid.

Iglesia de San Jose
  I’ve heard so many bad stories and I’m often amazed that everything (including my puter) is intact.  The only things that I’ve lost are due to my own forgetfulness.

Then I go to Iglesia San Jose but don’t go in.  It is supposedly the most famous of Casco Viejo’s churches, with a baroque golden altar.  As I walk back to where I want to go, I suddenly realize that that I’m right near Canal House, so drop in the souvenir bag from the museo.  It’s been overcast here since I arrived and reminds me of London, where it can be impossible to use the sun to get your bearings.  Without the sun to guide me, and the map that I use not being orientated to the north, I get quite confused as to which way I’m heading.

However at least the currency here is USD, so I can get that right.

Buzios in the rain.
  In Medellin I just couldn’t get my head around the currency, the only place where it didn’t stick.  I suspect that was partly due to the fact that everything was in thousands, tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands, and also usually spoken very quickly.

I decide to go to Buzios for a very late lunch, or perhaps it’s an early tea?  I’m very daring and have something different, this time it’s antipasto.  When I get there, they’re busy drying some of the chairs.  Most of the chairs are that light weave fabric with aluminium frame, ideal for the tropics.  Before long it’s very dark again, but I only get a few spots of rain on me as I’m sitting under an umbrella.

I go back to the Plaza Francia where I went on Friday.

Las Bovedas
  I want to see the Bovedas or vaults, which are underneath the Paseo Esteban Huertas and walkway.  These used to be used as a Spanish dungeon and later as a jail, storehouse and offices.  Now there is a French restaurant and a tourist office, but unfortunately both are closed, so all I can do is take a photo and imagine what it used to be like, which I guess is what I was going to do anyway.

Return to Canal House and ask for my bill so that I’m not rushed tomorrow morning.  The bill includes paying Katya; USD40 each way for the pick up and return to the airport and USD120 for the day trip to the Canal and Gamboa.  I sit downstairs at the dining table and do computer things for a while, then go up to my room, intending to perhaps watch a movie, but don’t find anything exciting.  It’s really hard when you don’t have a program guide; I’m flicking from channel to channel without success, watching bits of different programs.

Raining - Sunday morning.  View fr…
Raining - Sunday morning. View f…
Plaza de Francia