Sunday................beautiful Madrid

Madrid Travel Blog

Liked this building

I go down to breakfast by 9.  It’s a magnificent spread but I don’t eat much.  I get a taxi to catch the Madrid Vista Tourist bus, there are two circuits, one around historic Madrid and one route for new Madrid.

After my experiences with crowded tourist buses in New York, I want to catch the first bus, which goes at 9:30.  I spend the morning riding the bus around historic Madrid.  I had been told that Madrid wasn’t worth visiting, but I think it’s lovely.  I don’t know much about architecture, but feel that I should learn, just so that I can appreciate the city properly.

Around 1pm I go back to the hotel because Formula 1 is on at 2pm.

Palace
  The highlight of the race is Alonso retiring in his home grand prix before the end of the 2nd lap because someone runs up the back of his car.   Webber gets a boring 14th.  I have another sleep and then go out late afternoon to investigate the bus tour of new Madrid.  To get to that bus, I catch the other bus first.  I get off at Plaza Mayor and walk around, buy an ice-cream.  An Ecuadorian waiter comes up and starts talking to me; I’m wearing a t-shirt with a small Ecuadorian flag on the sleeve.  Apparently there are lots of Ecuadorians in Spain, this is the second time someone has approached me.

I stay on the bus until around 8.  It runs until midnight and the buses are no-where near as crowded as the ones in NY.  Also, because there is much less traffic, the circuits are completed quite quickly.

The hotel room is interesting.  There is more than I need, a writing desk and chair, a cd player, bed with electric controls for raising the head of the bed, a minibar with water and soft drinks, which I find out later, are free!  Excellent aircon.  Except for Barcelona and Stockholm, I have had the travel agent book the rest of the rooms for the trip as I’ve run out of time for making arrangements.  Probably not the cheapest option, but essential for my sanity.

Catedral