Sunday........Losing my boarding pass in Miami

Washington Travel Blog

Managua Airport, Nicaragua

Left for the airport at 1/4 to 5 am!  Arrived at around 5:30 for a 7:05 flight, to find that it isn’t leaving until 8:30.  However I’m flying American Airlines and there is an Admiral’s Club, the equivalent of the Qantas Club, so I wait there until it’s time to leave.

We get a really good breakfast on the flight.  Yoghurt, American equivalent of Corn Flakes, milk, banana, big packet of trail mix, coffee etc.  (Business class)

When I arrive in Miami I go through Customs, declaring one packet of shortbread biscuits as food, as required.  I have a theory that if you declare something, you get through customs quicker, particularly if you’re a certain age, sex and nationality.

Coming into Miami
  Everyone ahead of me is having their bags checked by customs.  When I go to have my bags checked, I notice that the other travellers have a blue form, which I had to hand in at the last checkpoint.  No, I’m not required for a bag search, I can go….I’m a little bemused at being singled out for the good news, but I’m not complaining.

I have some spare time, so ask a taxi driver how much for a 30 minute tour of Miami?  We settle on USD27 and off we go.  He goes over the 1/2 hour and I tell him that I have to go back right now.   I think he thinks that I’ll pay more for a longer tour, but those who’ve followed my travels will know that I’ve been caught out before.  This driver gets USD27, no more.

When I’m about to go through the security screening there’s this really odd woman who screams (and I mean screams) at me because I go to put my things on the belt before her.

The Biltmore, Miami
  She has about 5 boxes and is still filling them, but not ready to use the belt.  I was staggered; welcome to America?  After that little incident and going to the loo, I then realize I need to hurry, I get to the boarding gate and get out my boarding pass.  No, actually I can’t find it.  I must have dropped it some time after going through security.

I go to the counter at the gate and tell a clerk, who is totally unhelpful and doesn’t know what to do.  We have conversations like:

Where did you lose your ticket?  I don’t know, if I knew where I would go and find it.

My suitcase is on the plane.  Well, it’s only a domestic flight, your bag will just go without you and you’ll stay here.

Interesting treetrunks, Miami
  We don’t reissue first class tickets.

I’ve told two supervisors, I can’t do anything.  Is that a supervisor?  Yes.  OK I’ll go and talk to her.  Supervisor of course doesn’t want to know me.

My problem was that I had a round the world ticket and the ticket had been torn off and attached to my boarding pass, which I’d lost.  So by the airline putting both things together, you lose both.  Managua had issued both boarding passes at 5:30 this morning.

I’ve never lost a boarding pass before, but obviously I’m not the first person this has happened to.

Miami
  Unfortunately commonsense does not prevail; even though they know my name, they can identify me with my passport and I know the number of my seat, 6F, as I had the same seat number this morning, it’s all too difficult for them.

Ok, so what exactly is the problem?  I don’t have a voucher for the flight.  But I have a flight from Washington DC to New York on the same voucher.  I can use that voucher, but then will be stuck in Washington.  So I’m given two options, stay in Miami and my bag goes Washington (they x ray bags here, so they don’t take your baggage off if you don’t get on the plane), or use the other American Airlines voucher and be stuck in Washington.  Obviously I choose to go to Washington; I figure the staff there can’t be as unhelpful as these ones.  All the time I’m cool but assertive.

Leaving Miami
  I intend doing whatever is necessary to get on the plane.

Hurrah I get another boarding pass!  Two guys come up to me separately and then another guy later.  I’m congratulated on my handling of the situation and they obviously didn’t think much about how I was treated.  The staff were just so unhelpful and quite rude.  The third guy also suggests that I go to the Admiral’s Club when we land in Washington.  This I do; they are very apologetic and very annoyed with what Miami has done and tell me that I’ll be able to fly to NY tomorrow night as planned, without a voucher.  Hurrah for sanity and commonsense!

Get a cab for Holiday Inn Capital, around USD9.  Book a night tour of the city.  Have a salad and glass of wine and keep checking the foyer as tour bus is supposed to leave at 7:15.  At 7:20 I sit in the foyer to finish the glass of wine.  When the bus hasn’t come by 7:35 I go over and speak to the tour organizer.  Oh, she’d forgotten I was there.  Doesn’t matter, I have a tour tomorrow and it’s a very nice hotel with hot water, wifi etc.

Holiday Inn Capitol, Washington DC
Holiday Inn Capitol, Washington DC
Swimming pool on top of Holiday In…
Swimming pool on top of Holiday I…
Washington