Sunday......to Helsinki

Helsinki Travel Blog

One way to get around town

Meet for breakfast at 9:45 and don’t leave the table until just after 11.  We pack and take our suitcases downstairs and then set off for the Vasa Museum which is extremely interesting.  The Vasa is a ship that was launched in Stockholm in 1628  but unfortunately was badly designed and keeled over and sank shortly after launching, with 60 to 70 persons dying as a result.  It was the first ship which had two decks for canons and the hull was not large enough, nor was there enough room for ballast, to counteract the top-heavy boat.  The ship’s designer was probably lucky he died before the boat was finished; how embarrassing.

In the 1950s the ship was rediscovered and salvaged in Stockholm Harbour in 1961 and the museum is one of those places that’s interesting even if you’re not interested in ships.  The Vasa is the world’s only surviving complete C17th ship.

We left the museum around 3, got a taxi back to the hotel, picked up our bags and went to the station.

Harbour view
  My ticket for the 20 minute ride straight to the airport terminal was 220SEK, AUD40.40

Kelly and Joris’s plane left for Amsterdam at 5:35.  I spent a couple of hours in a bar using the wifi (actually paying for it) before catching my plane at 8:20.  Usually I refuse to pay and it’s often free at airports.  Stockholm sure is an expensive place.

On arrival at Helsinki I catch a taxi to the Hilton Strand, AUD257 pn, organized by travel agent in Oz......oh dear, I preferred the Bolivian hotel prices.  It’s an hour later in Finland and after 1 before I go to bed.

Vasa
Vasa
Model of what happened to the Vasa…
Model of what happened to the Vas…
Coloured decorations from Vasa