Settling into Sucre

Sucre Travel Blog

Street scene Sucre

I slept really badly as the bed was very hard, so I ask in the morning if there is any chance that they could find me a softer bed.  As I suspect, they have got new beds recently and they haven’t been broken in yet.  Meanwhile I have to race off to meet my Spanish teacher at 10 to 9.  I go to the wrong place first, so I’m late meeting her.  She seems very nice and we arrange to go somewhere a short distance away, where she and about 4 other teachers work in the same building.  I have written down the three reasons why I’m not going to stay at M’s sister’s place, the main one being that I was told that my Spanish would improve quickly as the family didn’t speak English.  Of course, that would only work if the family was there, not to mention that there are 4 or so other people who are also trying to improve their Spanish.  I have quoted directly from M’s email to me, so that there will be no confusion.  When I first meet L (the teacher), it’s the first thing that I tell her and she says she totally understands, which makes me feel much better.

Hotel Premier - not Bolivian flags
  I was somewhat nervous as to what reception I would get.  I give her the keys to the house and ask her to ring M, who I gather is not impressed.

However I find out during the next 3 hours that my concerns were totally justified.  Fox Language Academy is supposed to be about helping the community and that was partly what appealed to me.  However there is the money being made out of the accommodation, plus I pay USD5 an hour for lessons and L only gets a small percentage of the money.  M apparently has plenty of money and drives around in a flash car etc……..do you get the picture?    Plus L tells me that there was a New Zealand couple who stayed at the same house that I went to and stayed for only one night.  They were extremely angry because they felt that they had been hoodwinked.

Central Market

L is a great teacher and I will see her again tomorrow.  When I return to the hotel, the lovely lady at reception has been checking out beds and we think there is one that is a little softer.  The room is a little dearer; 200 BOB, AUD28.80.

The difference between the two accommodation arrangements is:

The house is 50BOB pn, AUD7.20.  Then hotel is BOB200, AUD28.80.  So AUD21.60 pn for 13 nights = about AUD280 extra and the difference is like chalk and cheese.

The house is a good 15 minutes from where I am going to have lessons, the hotel is less than 5 minutes and is in the centre of town and close to everything, although quiet.

Fox is everywhere
  By coincidence, Fox Academy where I’m supposed to be teaching English, starting tomorrow night, is directly opposite the hotel.

The house had a bedroom with two beds, some shelving and coathangers.  No light next to the bed and possibly no power point in the room.  I had to provide my own toilet paper, towel etc as if I were living in a flat.  The bathroom was pretty appalling and I have doubts about the possibility of hot water.  4 or more people share the bathroom and to get there I had to go outside and down some steep steps to the lower level.  Great fun if it was night time.

The hotel has a queen size bed, cable tv, bedside lamps, chair and table, proper bathroom etc.  wifi, and all the sort of things that you would expect from a 4 star hotel.  Breakfast is included.  At the moment my puter has spat the dummy and I can’t connect to the wifi, but I’m hoping to get that fixed tomorrow.  Also there is an internet computer at the hotel, so I’m hoping that I can download with a flash drive to the Travbuddy site tomorrow if I can’t get my puter fixed.

However, I want to be clear in saying why I shifted and it was not because of the more salubrious surroundings of a hotel room.  It was because I was not going to be living and sharing with a Spanish-speaking family.  I wasn’t interested in renting a room from a family, particularly when I felt that I was deliberately misled.

Sucre