Saturday...............arrival Madrid

Madrid Travel Blog

Snazzy Madrid airport

Land in Madrid late morning.

As usual I'm at the gate furthest from anywhere.  It's a long way, even with travelators.  After you go through passport control you have to catch a train to baggage, exit etc.  It's a pretty fancy, up to date airport.

No search of bags, no taxes to pay.  Get to hotel Senator on Gran Via where I’m staying for two nights.  I’m not sure how much of my tiredness is jetlag and how much is those pills I took, but decide that a sleep is the best idea.  Around 6 pm I go outside to explore.  Walk down to the Plaza de Espana where some youths are banging the drums.  I miss the trumpets of South America.  Walk up the hill from the hotel, find a tourist booth and enquire about tourist buses and similar touristy things.

Go back to the hotel and get my puter.  Sit downstairs in the bar and have a Sprite and ice while spending two hours updating the blog.  I can tell I’m finally better, although perhaps tomorrow I’ll still have some jetlag.

Around 11 pm I put my puter back in the room and go across the road for something to eat.  I pay 16E, AUD27, for a salad and large glass of wine (and I bought the smaller size!)  I eat about half of the salad and drink about two tablespoons of wine and that’s enough for me.  Tomorrow I have to find somewhere cheap to eat.
mcguinnessjudith says:
Did you find somewhere cheap to eat? What about accommodation? We are SO interested in finding out what you thought of Madrid as it is on our itinerary for next year.
Posted on: Aug 25, 2008
Hotel Senator, Gran Via
Hotel Senator, Gran Via
Fountain in Plaza de Espana, looki…
Fountain in Plaza de Espana, look…
Plaza Callao