San Jose de Maipo

Santiago Travel Blog

On the way to San Jose

Today I went on a trip that Jose had planned for me.  I’m not sure whether he’s trying to be helpful or just testing my endurance ;-)  I caught a train, then had to change to another train, then find where the bus went from to visit a winery and then back to the train terminus to catch a “local” bus which eventually deposited me in San Jose de Maipo; no I’d never heard of it before either.

Jose and Luis have just arrived home, so I’ll leave the rest of this till next time.

I have a 7 am flight to Calama in the morning and will then go on to San Pedro.  Don’t expect that I’ll see wifi for a long time.

Well I’m now in San Pedro de Atacama and there is wifi in the reception and dining areas!!  But back to Wednesday 15.

View from lunch at San Jose; Andes everywhere
  I caught the packed train to Puente Alto but couldn’t see the station that I was going to on the map inside the train.  I started to get worried so decided to get off and change to another line because it looked more promising.  Later I find out that the ticket clerk must have sent me to the wrong platform.  The good news was that Puento Alto was at the end of the line and I couldn’t repeat my error of Vina del Mar.  After the usual wrong choices I caught the bus to the winery called Concha y Toro.  The confusion came from the fact that there’s a place called Concha y Toro, as well as the winery.  As we sailed past the winery I saw the name and jumped up and at the same time the driver realized that he’d forgotten to drop me off, so fortunately he stopped immediately and I got off.

The tour was interesting and I came away with a souvenir glass; now there’s a challenge to get it back to Oz intact.

Lunch, San Jose
  I was interested to hear the guide talk about Casillero de Diablo, the Devil’s Cellar and wonder whether Devil’s Lair winery in W.A had taken poetic licence with the name.

A lovely lady helped me on the busride back to Puento Alto when I had difficulty understanding why it was more expensive to go back to Puento Alto, than the outward trip had been.  I enlisted this lady’s help to find where the local bus went to San Jose de Maipo.  It took a little time as the bus stop was in a side street, and of course the lady didn’t speak English, but soon after we got to the stop, the bus arrived and we were off.  I was sitting about 2/3rds of the way down the bus and there was a guy at the back playing a guitar and singing in Spanish.  He was very good and accepted donations when he was getting off the bus.  I was sorry to see him go.

I checked that the last stop was San Jose, got off at the terminus and then had to walk back a few blocks to the restaurant recommended by Jose.

Lunch, San Jose
  There I had my first pisco sours; an alcoholic drink popular in South America.  There is a town in Peru called Pisco, but I don’t know if the drink is named after it.  I ate a large meat empanada (like a pastie but meat and hardboiled egg are added).  The return trip was uneventful.

I’m so glad that I speak a little Spanish as it is making the trip a little easier, although there is always a trap when asking a question as the other person rattles off an answer and I have little idea what they are saying.

On the way to San Jose
View from lunch at San Jose; Andes…
View from lunch at San Jose; Ande…
San Jose
Jose (I gave him the red roses) me…
Jose (I gave him the red roses) m…
Santiago