Monday...first day at school, Cuenca

Cuenca Travel Blog

Inside Cathedral, magnificent, this cupola is made of gold, 1" thick.

Walk to school just before 8.  My teacher’s name is Rafael.  We spend around 2 ½ hours in class, mostly it’s revision of grammar, completing exercises and talking.  Then there’s a coffee break with other students and Rafael takes me to visit the main plaza and cathedral, which is rather magnificent.

On the way back to the house for lunch, I take my good sunglasses to be fixed as the arm broke.  Guy can’t fix them.  Have lunch at 1 with the whole family; hot lunch with soup as lunch is most important meal.  Afterwards I do my homework and then get a taxi and go to the River Mall.

Give my glasses to another optometrist; hope they can fix them.

Inside cathedral
  By amazing chance I run into Estella!  Buy a new electronic translator for USD104 as I broke mine when I dropped it in a museum in Sucre and it no longer does conjugations.  They’re definitely cheaper here than in Oz and probably cheaper in Quito than here.  Apart from earrings, I’ve hardly bought anything.  The mall is similar to any that you would find in Oz, except that goods tend to be dearer than buying in smaller shops in other parts of the city.

I go to the supermarket to check out what they sell, then catch a cab back to the school before 6 as there is a free discussion on famous people in South America.  There is only the teacher, one other student and me, but it’s a very interesting hour.  I then go looking for a restaurant with wifi, eventually find one and have something to eat and do a bit of the blog, check emails etc.  Return to the house by cab; USD1.50, the minimum cost for a cab.

Inside Cathedral, magnificent, thi…
Inside Cathedral, magnificent, th…
Cuenca