Hotel de Sal (Hotel of Salt),

Uyuni Travel Blog

Hotel de Piedra

It wasn’t quite as cold as last night, but I had a really bad cough during the night which woke Marco up, two doors away.  When I woke in the morning I wasn’t well (will spare you the details), in addition to the cold and cough.   I was also a little concerned as I had developed red spots on my arms and legs, nothing like I’ve ever had before.  Selma would be proud of all my symptoms.  I fix some problems with medication from the travel doctor’s kit that I got in Perth.  I rest all morning but don’t want to eat, and around 1pm we’re ready to leave.  Marco suggests that he gets the community doctor to visit me when we arrive at Hotel de Sal (Hotel of Salt) in Tahua and I agree.

We visit Cueva Galaxia (Galaxy Cave) during the afternoon, which contains hangings similar to stalactites in some ways, but it's not limestone.

Hotel de Piedra
  Marco's not sure how they were formed, so I guess no-one knows!

The cave was only discovered in 2003 by two local men.  Nearby is another cave with pre-Inca skulls and pots etc.  Amazingly this is open to the outside and no-one has stolen anything.  We don’t have time to visit Isla Pescado because of the late start.

We drive across part of the salt plain (salar de Uyunu) before arriving at the Hotel de Sal, which is made largely of salt, including chairs, table, bed bases etc.

On arrival Marco isn’t happy when I’m shown to my room; I work this out, although they’re speaking very fast Spanish.  He wants somewhere warmer for me.

Hotel de Piedra Dining room
  It appears that I end up with the room intended for him, which still has late afternoon sun shining in, and he has the room intended for me.  Doctor comes; I get a penicillin jab (which includes other goodies) and some tablets to take.  Doctor is lovely Bolivian woman of 28 who has two daughters.  She thinks the red lesions are some sort of infection as a result of the Bolivian dust/germs.  I pay USD20 for the home visit.  The Bolivian government pays for her to live in the Tahuan community to tend to the people and she only charged 58BOB.  The rest of the money being a “thank you” as advised by Marco.

The dining room is cold and the fire smoking, however I eat a small dinner, keeping Marco company.

aussie_E says:
Actually, I did think of that at the time!
Posted on: Jun 24, 2008
pepernoten says:
"It wasn’t quite as cold as last night, but I had a really bad cough during the night which woke Marco up, two doors away."

Did he make you go and sleep in the car? :P
Posted on: Jun 12, 2008
Tahua from Hotel de Sal
Tahua from Hotel de Sal
Very old cacti outside Cueva Galax…
Very old cacti outside Cueva Gala…
Skulls near Cueva Galaxia
Skulls near Cueva Galaxia
Cecilio on the Salar (Salt plain)
Cecilio on the Salar (Salt plain)
Uyuni