Friday...............Last day in Lima

Lima Travel Blog

One for John

7:37 am men start hammering.

I’m very tired and have an appointment with the doctor, re the MRI results, at 10:30.  Take a taxi.  When I get there I find out that the appointment is for 4:30 pm.  I go down and get the MRI results.  In Spanish it refers to signs of a fracture plus degeneration.  I’m used to the latter comment, that’s what happens when you’re over 30!  I’m not sure what the difference is between a fracture and signs of a fracture.

I go to a bank because I want to pay some bills in cash as otherwise I pay a percentage for using my credit card.  But I want to draw out more than the daily allowance.

One for Seba
I talk to an information officer.  No, I can only get out money using ATM.  Then I realize that I can access the same account from two different cards.  Can only draw out USD200 each time.  I make an error, so press cancelar.  The ATM won’t give me back my card; on subsequent pressing of cancelar it swallows my card.   Back into the bank to visit the information officer.  After about 15 minutes I get my card back.  I tell them that the atm is faulty.  Go back outside.  There are two atms and I stand in a queue for the other one.  The one that I used now is showing that it is being serviced.  There is another customer there; the atm has swallowed her card too.  At least it’s daytime and the bank is open.
Combi - guy leans out calling out where the combi's going
   I eventually take out USD1,000 but it is all in USD20 notes.  I go back inside and exchange these for 100s.  The whole visit to the bank is about an hour, but at least I’ve got the right result.

Go to nearby supermarket.  I’ve given up worrying about being challenged about taking my bag in and non-one ever challenges non local-looking people.  I open a Diet Pepsi and buy some bananas and other things.  At the exit I buy what I think is 1 churros for 1 ns, but get about 6.  They’re not very nice, but I eat them anyway.  I go for a walk, but realize that I’m going in the opposite direction to the way I want to go.  Eventually I hail a cab to take me into the Plaza de Armas.  The cab driver says, sorry, but it’s too busy to go there at this time of the day.

Casa Bella
  The second driver takes me there for NS10.  It’s my last afternoon and I find the tourist bureau and the bus that does trips around the city.  All too late, unfortunately.  I walk around the shopping mall and go to KFC, the first time for many years.

Eventually I get a cab for the doctor.  I run into him outside the lift.  When we get to his office there are about six people in the waiting room.  I think that most of them are friends.  It’s all a bit like an afternoon tea, except there isn’t any.  The doctor sees me first; early again.   Yes, he says, MRIs are very good as they show what is ok and what isn’t.  Yes I have a fracture, but it’s ok and not where the pain is.

Bedroom number two, Casa Bella
  The good news is that everything will heal ok, but I just have to be patient.  I tell him that I’ve had hardly any pain the last couple of days.  I’m sent to buy a flexible support for the knee area which I wear under clothes.  I go and get it in a taxi and return to him.  He’s happy but would like me to return in about three weeks.  Perhaps he would like to come to Quito?

I finally go back to Casa Bella.  Orlando advises me that I’m to change rooms for the night.  I think it’s because it suits them, not because of me.  They want to turn off the hot water to the room.  I’m told that the new room is a suite, that there’s a better tv etc.  I don’t want to move, but don’t say anything.  I tell Orlando I wasn’t impressed with the guide the other morning so he charges me ½ price of USD20.  Apparently they've never used her before.  The website says the tour is USD36, not 40.  I am still exhausted from yesterday and want to go to bed early as I want to watch F1 qualifying at 7 am.  At 12 noon I am going to catch the bus to Trujillo.

I sleep badly because:  the room is a floor higher than the previous room and so now I get all the traffic noise, not only is it a different bed, but the foot is higher than the head and I end up having to sleep with my head at the foot of the bed;  staff walk up and down the stairs outside with shoes that obviously don’t have rubber soles; I’m woken after midnight by staff talking outside the door, I think it must be some sort of storeroom.  In addition the wifi signal is too weak because I’m a floor higher.

One for Seba
Combi - guy leans out calling out …
Combi - guy leans out calling out…
Lima