Friday............Cuenca to Ambato

Ambato Travel Blog

Bus terminal, Cuenca

Had to get packed before going to school and didn’t get there until just before 8:30, but had warned Rafael that I might be late.  Some of the other students had been up until 3 am and were looking rather worse than me.  I felt a little sorry for the teachers as obviously this would happen quite often, particularly with the “party” students.  My Spanish was a little the worse for wear.

I got a taxi at 11:15, rushed back and got my suitcase from the house and then went to the bus terminal.  I had to pay 10c to walk through to the bus, Loja again.  I guess it’s some sort of tax as I had to pay in Cuenca too.

"My" bus
  We left at 12 and were supposed to arrive at 6:30, but it was 7:30 when we got there.  On the way we got held up for an hour by roadworks.  Because of the steep mountainsides and narrow roads, upgrading the roads means that the traffic just has to stop while the roadwork takes place.  It seems that they work for an hour, then let the traffic through, then the next trucks and buses have to wait for up to an hour.  There are very few cars.  Even though there’s a wait for an hour, there are only 9 vehicles held up on the other side of the roadworks.

There is a movie on the bus but it’s in Spanish and doesn’t look very interesting.  Later there is music, fortunately not as loud as the other day, so I don’t need the earplugs.  I buy some potato chips and dried banana chips for USD1 in total.

Leaving Cuenca

I tell the conductor that I don’t know Ambato and he says that he will tell me where to get off.  I finally get off the bus but, as I had been warned, it is not at a terminal and I have to catch a taxi.  I’m a little nervous as I’m standing on the side of a busy road with my suitcase and the taxis that I hail don’t stop, even if there are no passengers in them.  Eventually a taxi stops and we go to the hotel, only USD1.5.  It’s cheaper than Cuenca for the same length journey.  I had problems booking the hotel as I got no reply from the online reservation form and it was only this morning that I got confirmation, via another booking agency.  I’m staying at the Hotel Ambato for two nights, so that I can visit Banos, a popular destination for tourists, tomorrow.  Have a nice dinner in the hotel restaurant.

hotelambato.com.  The usual deal, ensuite, wifi, cable for around USD55 pd, but this hotel is rather better than most I’ve stayed in with good quality reception for the tv, a larger room and a big shower with lots of hot water.

Today’s trivia.  I forgot to mention that when I went from Lima to Trujillo with Cruz del Sur, they videotaped everybody’s faces while we were sitting on the bus before we left.  When I went from Trujillo to Chiclayo, Linea bus company did the same.  From Chiclayo to Piura, Loja bus not only videotaped the passengers but I also had to give an index finger fingerprint before getting on the bus.  Not sure why; perhaps it has to do with people smuggling precious relics out of the country.
My bus
"My" bus
Leaving Cuenca
Scenery enroute to Ambato - no, I …
Scenery enroute to Ambato - no, I…
Anyone for dinner?