First day Santiago

Santiago Travel Blog

Artisan's market (with dog)

Got to Santiago airport early afternoon.  Shortly before reaching Santiago we saw the Andes; a lovely sight out of the window and looking like a picture postcard, but Santiago was shrouded in pollution.  (John and Judy seat 1A) I had heard of this, so was not surprised.  I was to be met by taxi organised by Jose but I couldn’t find the email with the note where to meet the taxi.  Walked around and went to the obvious meeting places.  Other taxi drivers were eager for the business but also happy to try to help me.  Two of the men, one appeared to be an organiser, rather than a driver, took me to an information booth upstairs but we couldn’t find the name of the taxi company in the phone book.  Also Jose’s phone wasn’t answering.  In the end I took a cab for an agreed price of 15,000 pesos AUD34 (Jose’s taxi was to be 13.000 pesos AUD29).  NB  13.000 = 13,000.  The taxi driver didn’t speak English but my Spanish was good enough for us to have a reasonable conversation.

Jose's CocaCola kitchen
  Favourable first impressions of South America.

Arrived at the block of flats.  Got key as arranged from concierge and went upstairs to 11th floor.  Jose arrived shortly after with friend Luis, who doesn't speak English.  Both very nice and Jose very helpful.

Later went for a walk downtown.  Camera wasn’t working so went to buy some batteries at a pharmacy.  Four AA batteries 2.480. AUD5.60.  A Big Mac is 800p AUD1.82.

Went to artisan’s market and to toilet there 150 pesos AUD.

View from unit
34.  I always resented having to pay for toilets in Europe, but here it provides much needed employment.  With my change I was handed some paper.  Didn’t realize until I went inside that it was toilet paper.  Occ Health & Safety wouldn’t like that.  No seats on the toilets.  They can’t provide toilet paper in toilets because the people steal it, so provision of toilet paper is regulated.  Either it is handed to you or there are dispensers outside the cubicles and you take it from there.

Went to an Italian restaurant, Casa Matriz, for tea on the way back.  Individual pizza, two smallish bottles of red but larger than you get on planes in Oz, large ice-cream sundae.  Total 5.670p AUD12.80.  TV with soccer on, no surprises there.  Not many people there but they all go ooooooh when there’s a goal.

View from unit
  Commentator looked like a Spanish version of a young Eddie Maguire.

Was tired so went to bed around 8:30.  First impressions; I like Santiago and felt safe walking around on my own.  There are carabineros (police) everywhere.  What I don’t like are the dogs.  There are many homeless dogs roaming the streets; actually lying down most of the time.  I feel sorry for them.  They are mostly fairly thin and people ignore them.  I didn’t pat any as I wasn’t sure if they would bite.  I talked to one and it came over, slowly wagging its tail; then I felt mean as I had raised its expectations.

Ramon Corvalan # 37

www.joseestay.com/newstudio.html

Staying in a home with Jose.  Double bed with private bathroom.  US$60 pn for the Saturday night (10th), US$35 for the other nights.  You pay per person per bed for the room, so my costs are double for exclusive use.  Light breakfast included.

Artisans market (with dog)
Artisan's market (with dog)
Joses CocaCola kitchen
Jose's CocaCola kitchen
Santiago Hostels review
Great homestay in Santiago, Chile
Stayed here in May 2008. Jose is an excellent host and went out of his way to help me to enjoy Santiago. Would definitely stay there again. I staye… read entire review
Santiago