So long, Sweden

Stockholm Travel Blog

vincent and stephen, back in sweden
I went back to Stockholm for my last few days in Sweden. I couldn't leave without a proper goodbye or the chance to see the last of my recently-acquired Swedish friends. Stephen and Vincent, my surrogate family in Krakow, were back from their travels and excited to meet up. It was good to see the boys again--all cleaned up and on their home turf. We met for pizza in Södermalm and toured the neighborhood. It wasn't quite right without Rob, the missing fourth piece of our Polish puzzle, but he lived on in our conversations. Luckily, by this point, the boys had forgiven him for ditching them in Hungary, or the conversation could have had a completely different tone. I knew the 18-year-olds would prove to be too much for one man to handle.
It was a valiant effort though, I suppose.

I had to say my goodbyes to Firat and his friends as well. There were moments of serious debate in my visit to Stockholm where I considered staying. Maybe there would be a bar or hostel that desperately needed an english-speaker and in the meantime, I could practice a new language and hang out with my ready-made group of friends. But for whatever reason, I had it in my head to continue on my course. I may live to regret that, but for now I'll just have to see.

So with one last walk around the city, I was off. Goodbye to my friends and two weeks of pure comfort and contentment. Goodbye to the language whose "hello" sounds like "hey" (hej) and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy whenever I enter a store. LIke everyone remembers me or wants to be my buddy. Goodbye to salted-black licorice... Seriously, goodbye. There's zero sentiment there. As far as I'm concerned, that one can just be gone. Blech!

But as for the rest of the country (minus the questionable taste in candy), I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and the chance to get to know a piece of it. And I can say in all honesty, I have yet to meet a Swede I didn't like. That is, of course, unless you count ABBA.

big improvement to the pic
big improvement to the pic
oh, the kids. gotta love em.
oh, the kids. gotta love em.
Rea means Sale. which makes this…
"Rea" means Sale. which makes thi…
Stockholm