There once was a girl from Limerick

Limerick Travel Blog

The cliffs of Moher
I left Dublin in a hurry when a job didn't seem close at hand. Not because I didn't like it, but I felt my time would be better spent seeing the rest of the country than sitting in a Dublin hostel waiting for phone calls that would never come. Once I gave up the idea of handing out resumes, I was able to escape my computer and parade through the town like all the other tourists.

I roamed the streets, checked out the city museums (which included very well-preserved 2000-year-old "Bog Bodies" to my delight) and met up with a few different couchsurfers to get the real Dublin experience. My host for the first couple nights had been Ivan from Spain and his hodgepodge of flatmates from Italy, Brazil and France. While they were extremely helpful and illustrate perfectly Dublin's melting-pot notoriety, they can't exactly provide the Irish insider-perspective I was hoping to encounter.
The Griffins
My meet-ups with other CS'ers, Vinnie with the red 'fro and Ciara with that good ol' dry sense of humor, filled the gap that the Latinos couldn't.

It was Ciara who especially convinced me to get out of Dublin. The locals don't feel it's an accurate portrayal of the real Ireland, and with all the tourists and foreigners filling the city center, it's easy to see why. So when Ciara offered a ride and place to stay in Limerick for the weekend, I had the perfect opportunity to leave. And considering her mom's home cooking was part of the deal, I would have been mad not to accept.

Limerick as a town doesn't have much to offer. Ciara and her family, on the other hand, made the trip quite worthwhile.
Eimear and Ciara
The sarcasm runs deep in their household, as does--praise the heavens--their mother's food. I can safely say that, as a backpacker, the two days spent in the Griffin household were the best I'd eaten in months. It's possible I gained a couple kilos while I was there, but didn't feel that was a justifiable reason to stop eating. You take what you can get when you don't know where your next hot, free meal will come from.

Ciara's brother Connor and sister Eimear (along with her boyfriend John) were also home for the weekend, so we turned Saturday into a bit of a Griffin sibling roadtrip. They took me the hour-and-a-half north to see the famed "Cliffs of Moher." Although I later discovered these cliffs weren't necessarily anymore impressive that 90% of the rest of the west shoreline, the Irish coast as a whole is definitely dramatic and I basically had to just stop taking pictures because everywhere is amazing and worthy of a photo.

Despite the multiple signs, I felt it very necessary to hop the rail for 30 seconds to snap off one of my famous feet pictures while Ciara and Connor covered me. I would have liked to get closer for a better shot, but given the stories of big wind gales that have been known to blow tourists right over the edge, I'll settle for what I got.
wind-designed fros