Streets of Krakovia

Krakow Travel Blog

Rynek Glowny (Market Square)
I was never able to find a couch to surf in Krakow. I think it was the poor timing of hitting a long holiday weekend, where most of the locals left town. This left me without a guide and wandering the streets of Krakow with the rest of the tourists.

I do feel I missed out because of this, but what I did see of the city, I really liked. It's a great mix of insanely old architecture and very modern/ hip shops and people. The streets are littered with tourists and pigeons. It's such a top tourist destination, that I have no idea if I was ever actually among any locals.

The Market Square is in the middle of town. Shop-lined streets jut out in each direction and the entire Old Town area is encircled by a tree park called the Planty. Most tourists (including myself) never venture much beyond Old Town.
krakow loves its churches
But riding the bus to Auschwitz showed just how expansive the city actually is.

I popped into an Irish pub one day to ask if they were hiring. I was just curious how easy it would be. I liked the city so much initially, part of me thought I could pick this as my spot to park for awhile. But in the end, after a day or two of contemplating, I decided it was a little too early in my trip to start picking favorite cities. And the inability to communicate with everyone around me could get a little lonely after awhile.

As it turns out, six days in Krakow is enough for now. I've decided it's time to move on to Lithuania. Rob, Stephen and Vincent are heading south to Budapest, so our little family is being torn apart. I suppose it's for the best. I'm not sure how much longer I could keep up with those Swedes or their youthful enthusiasm for drinking. Good luck with that one Rob. Your liver is older than theirs.
Wawel Royal Castle