The Pretty People of Perth

Perth Travel Blog

my beautiful little sister
There are two reasons one would make the effort to journey all the way to Perth, Australia--geographically, one of the most isolated cities in the world: The beaches and all the hot australian bodies that graze those beaches. As great as those two are, I also had a third reason for beginning my Australian adventure in this remote city: my little sister.

Two years ago, that not-so-little-anymore sister picked up and moved half-way around the world. At first it was for school. Now I'm afraid we might have lost Allie completely to the Aussie way of life or, more specifically, an Aussie boy.

The happy couple had just returned from a stateside Christmas trip. Frank survived the two-week long initiation into the Fredericks clan with flying colors.
allie and frank
So it was only appropriate that now, five hours after their return, they had to head back to the airport to pick up the final member of the clan for another two weeks of family fun. Trust me, the timing was unintentional, and you can be sure I understand what one month of in-laws can do to a person. But I'm happy to report that we all came out alive and Frank was either a saint about it or perhaps the world's greatest actor to appear as if he remained sane the entire time.

I was admittedly a terrible tourist while in Perth. Allie took me on the occasional city tour and visited cute areas like Fremantle, but mostly it was a chance to relax after playing the tourist for seven months and hang out with a sister I hadn't seen since the day she moved to this far away land.
perth
Sometimes the touristic laziness was beyond our control. The day we intended to hike through King's Park, it went up in flames. I got to see smoke and hovering helicopters with water buckets, but that was about it.

On the other hand, we were all-stars about making it to the beach. My tan reached new unimaginable levels that will be hard to emulate in the slightly less sunny Seattle. The view was gorgeous, kite-surfers plentiful and sun shining. My only complaint was the wind that always seemed to intensify the closer we got to the water. On the plus side, sunbathing on the beach was like a tanning session and body exfoliation all in one. I'll leave this city browned and silky smooth.

Sunday sessions were the other area in which we excelled. Every weekend, just after lunch and a morning hangover, the suburban bars would fill up with Perth's beautiful people, dressed in their Sunday best.
those beautiful beaches
It was all the perving and socializing of a Friday night, performed on a sunnier, more relaxed stage. It was at one of these sessions that I saw my future husband. It's just a shame I never actually got to talk to him and now he will never know of our impending destiny. But, all the same, it was enough to make me a fan of the weekend tradition...and the men in Perth.

The rest of the time, we could be found hanging out at the house or its backyard pool. As of a whole 2-days before their trip abroad, Allie and Frank had moved in with his sister and brother-in-law. Luckily for me, the full house still had a bedroom to spare and for the first time in a very long time, I had a space of my own.

It was Frank's friend Fragas that consistently saved me from assuming the position of third or fifth wheel.
happy australia day!
Considering that that's his role for the other 50 weeks of the year, I think he was equally grateful for the balance. And before you start feeling sorry for the guy, or questioning his parents, "Fragas" is, of course, a nickname from his last name. The aussies can't be bothered with words over two syllables and even the short ones get changed just for the spirit of it. Sunglasses are sunnies, thanks is ta. And I'm told even the Melbourne stadium MCG is shortened to just "the G." You'd be surprised at how much more conversation you can fit into your day.

It was in this particular backyard pool of said house, where all of these fore-mentioned characters and a few random others gathered on the 26th day of January to celebrate Australia Day. It's similar to the 4th of July, in that it's a great excuse to get together to barbeque and drink beer, while proudly waving your country's flag.
backyard pool
(A topic which has garnered much debate between Australians and me, on which country is guiltier of going overboard with the flags. They persist that it's us. I say, after witnessing all the car banners, stubby holders and red, blue and white swim trunks, that it's them. The debate continues...) The day celebrates when Captain Cook and his crew first landed Down Under. Which brings about another topic for debate. Because of the disagreeable and bloody way in which the explorers greeted the native tenants, today's Aboriginals (as well as anyone with a conscience) would like to see the date moved, so as not to celebrate a massacre with binge drinking. As someone who would rather work on Columbus Day than celebrate his similar atrocities, I completely agree. However, I must admit that, in the meantime, while Australia Day is still on the 26th, I may have had a beer or two and dined on some barbequed pork chops in celebration of what Australia is today.
it's a hard life
And because I didn't want to be left out.

The day came when I had to leave my sister and head east. I considered finding a job in Perth and extending my time. I even handed out a resume. But in the end, it wasn't fair to Frank and Allie to continue on as their tagalong. The tricycle needed to be retired. It's hard saying goodbye to a sibling not knowing the next time you'll see them. For as close as our family is, geographically we've become quite ridiculously dispersed. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that these two make lots of money or perhaps acquire a private jet that'll frequently bring them stateside. On the upside, the Frederickses have yet another beautiful place to visit.
its a hard life
it's a hard life
the orange crusher
the orange crusher
franks sister alana and fragas
frank's sister alana and fragas
wouldnt want to fall in here...je…
wouldn't want to fall in here...j…
shell probably kill me for this o…
she'll probably kill me for this …
the house