I Nida Tan

Nida Travel Blog

our quaint apartment

It worked out perfectly that the two girls from Quebec, Andreanne and Charlotte, were planning to head to the Baltic coast of Lithuania the same time that I was. And since, in hindsight, I see how boring it could have been alone, I'm especially grateful it worked out to discover it together. We took an early morning train from Vilnius to the western town of Klaipeda. From here we had to walk through town to the port and take a ferry to the peninsula. Every Lithuanian we talked to insisted that we make it to the town of Nida. So this is what we did.

Once on the peninsula, we got in a bus and rode the hour trip to the tourist-ridden town of Nida. I was excited to see my German would come in handy again. For whatever reason, this little town has become a destination for German senior citizens. Many of the signs are in Deutsch and it's the second language of many local vendors.

We left our lodging decision up to spontaneity. The guidebooks weren't completely clear or helpful, but others had told us we should be able to find something easily, especially in the middle of the week. This was very true. In fact, I would go as far as to say the EASIEST it's ever been in my experience as a traveler. We were approached immediately by an older women, speaking in German, as we got off the bus saying she had a place we could stay. We took down her info but continued in our own search.

on the sand dunes of nida
The apartment-peddling women started popping out of the woodwork as we walked. "Hey little girl...I gotta place you can stay." They seemed to be everywhere on the peninsula and we started to avert our eyes when we came across an old women, fearing what she might try to push on us.

We settled on one "apartment" for the night. It was a little one-bedroom loft cabin in a row of many. We had a private bathroom, mini-kitchen and a couple beds. It would do the trick. We dropped our bags off and set out to explore the area. We hiked up to some sand dunes that overlooked the town and the adjacent lagoon separating us from the rest of the country. Nida, we decided, was a place for relaxing. It would be hard to find something to do after a few days, but for these two, it was perfect for getting out of the city and doing a whole lot of nothing.

the baltic sea

On day 2, we walked to the other side of the peninsula where we heard there was a beach. Somehow in the planning, it, unfortunately, never registered for any of us to bring along our swimsuits. Maybe because it was so chilly yesterday? Whatever the reason, we were really kicking ourself when we arrived to find a blue sea and beautiful beach dotted with sunbathers. We still made the best of it and laid for hours, falling asleep to the sound of the surf.

We took the bus back to Klaipeda for the second night and got beds in a hostel directly next to the bus station. This proved to be a huge help when we all had to leave early the next morning. We walked back through the town, stopping to grab a bite of one last Lithuanian meal and local beer. It's so hard to keep track of time here and I couldn't believe we didn't eat our meal until almost 11pm. It's especially hard to tell, considering it was still light out at that point! I love these long days, but it messes with my mind. It's a good thing I have no real responsibilities, or we'd all be in trouble.

me, charlotte and andreanne