Little Doors, Big Beers

Tallinn Travel Blog

the city wall
Mait left for a weekend surf camp, so I headed to a nearby hostel. After couchsurfing consecutively for the past couple weeks, I was looking forward to the "privacy" a hostel can offer. As much privacy as you can get in an 8-bunk room and three bathrooms to be shared by the entire building, that is.

I spent the morning walking around the city of Tallinn. I got a good introduction yesterday when I arrived and on my night stroll between bars with Mait. It's a cute city. Once again, there's an old town left over from the middle ages in the center--crawling with tourists--surrounded by the newer city that remains a mystery to most visitors. Tallinn's medieval flair sets it apart from the past few cities I've visited.
little doors everywhere!
A stone wall, complete with towers, encompasses the Old Town. The building facades are much simpler than the Art Nouveau architecture of my previous stops. But there are other intriguing details like jutting, second-story pulleys and countless little doors sprinkled along the city wall.

In a very appropriate and timely manner, Tallinn's Medieval Festival happened to be taking place this weekend. The main town square was full of vendors and performers, all clad in fashions from the era and adding a little spice to the city.

You can spend hours--or days, actually--exploring all the little side-streets of the old town. I combined that with a couple random interactions with locals--like Ingel, the young-girl who started by selling me a postcard and by the end was asking for my myspace info and a hug.
tallinn town square and medieval market
Or the Russian-Estonian guy named Constantine that sat next to me on a park bench and compared passports, borrowed my phone and let me hold his friend's baby before it was all said and done. I don't know how these things come about. They just do. Perhaps I appear "approachable."

When I made it back to the hostel, a new friend was soon to follow. One of my roommate's was a California girl named Breana. She was also traveling alone and immediately friendly. I find that if I've spent the day alone (or only talking to Russian-Estonians with very limited english) I become excessively talkative with the first open ear I encounter. This usually results in an apology for my long-windedness. But I've found that other solo travelers are a good audience for rambling and usually yearning for a little dialogue themselves.
smokin the shesha

Before Bre and I could head out the door for dinner and drinks as planned, we also met, befriended and invited our other roommates to join us. Tobias and Rob (which is our american version of his unpronounceable name) are from Holland and Aaron is a petite spaniard. After dinner, the boys led us to a bar where I joined in the effort of smoking my first shesha (aka hookah). I surprisingly liked the taste, but find it quite pointless otherwise. There wasn't even mood-setting music or big cushiony pillows to at least give the event a relaxing ambience. So I'm not entirely sold just yet. And before I move on to the next topic, let me say: Mom...don't worry. It's not a narcotic. There's not even tobacco in it. It's a water-based smoke that tasted like apples. So you don't have to worry.
big beers
..Europe has not corrupted your darling little daughter and I won't get arrested for posting that picture.

We finished the night by hopping to a few different bars. Accidentally ordering gallon-sized beers because the waiter claimed (in convenient, broken english) that that was the only option at one bar, and feeling quite brunette in the midst of all the toe heads at the others. Seriously. I've never seen so many blindingly blonde woman in my life. Forget Sweden. This is the place to be if that's your taste. Combine that with the SHORT shorts and skirts they wear, and this is basically men's Eden. If you're into that kind of thing, that is.
little doors everywhere!
tallinn town square and medieval m…
tallinn town square and medieval …
Breana from California