Home-cooked Cambridge

Cambridge Travel Blog

meet the bishops
When traveling, it's impossible to account for everything that might slow down your journey to the next destination. Sometimes it's a traffic jam, flat tire or getting lost on the way. Today, as we hurried to catch our bus from London to Cambridge, it was a disgruntled bicyclist. We sat helplessly through multiple light changes, as the cyclist stood in front of our bus, trying to snap pictures of the bus and driver that had cut off her bike lane. By the time the cop came, the story had morphed into an actual collision. This begun a bystander debate within the bus, whether the woman was really a victim or full of shit. I'm not sure what the cop determined in the end, but we were finally allowed to continue on our way.

We made it to our bus and on to Cambridge, where our next hosts awaited us. My first couchsurfing experience in Seattle had been befriending a couple traveling English guys. It was the ideal reciprocal set-up: they stay with me in Seattle, I stay with them in England. The glitch in this perfect plan is that Tom and John are still in Seattle, 8 months later. In his place, Tom offered up his parents as alternative hosts. Jean and Mike Bishop just might be the cutest little English couple I've ever met, and if I could pack them up and bring them along for the rest of the trip (in a very non-homicidal/Dahmer sense of the phrase), I would.

Tom had also promised Jean's home-cooking as a prize to seal the deal. I was sold, and she didn't disappoint. In between lunch and dinner and the great conversation, Mary and I went into the town center to explore Cambridge in all of its scholarly beauty.
After a few suggestions and a discounted price from the charming company spokesmen, we opted to give the famous "punt rides" a go. A punt is Cambridge's version of a gondola and there's apparently a requirement for the punters to be young and good-looking. It's good for business. So for our bargain price, we were able to sit back, hear a bit of history and watch all of the beautiful university buildings float by. It was the perfect way to see the city and we lucked out with a warm, sunny day to do it.

When we left the next morning, Jean sent us on our way with two pack-lunches and an invitation to return whenever we'd like. I hope they meant it, because I think I just might.
not a bad view