Gone Country

Eskilstuna Travel Blog

Sweden is all about friendly faces. This time it was Lillit and Marie--my Berlin hostelmates--waiting for me when I finally escaped the capital city-to-captial city routine for the more relaxed side of life. The lure of their families' country homes was too much to resist and the lakes were calling my name.

In reality, I only spent a couple days with the girls in Berlin. But they might as well have been my kindergarten playmates with as comfortable and nice to see them as it was. Friendships happen a bit quicker on the road, I guess. It's a great substitute when family and friends from home are slightly less accessible.

A one-hour train ride from Stockholm took me to the town of Eskilstuna, and back to my childhood.
I spent my time between Lillit and Marie's homes and soaked up every minute of bike-riding down dirt roads, homemade dinners (which included my first taste of swedish meatballs!), munching on raspberries from the garden or snow peas in the field.

As an added bonus, summer finally arrived in Sweden. The days of partial cloudy/chance of rain were gone and we were left with pure, unadulterated sunshine. We took full advantage at the lake by Lillit's house, where I unintentionally toasted the right side of my body. I'll have to go back later in the day to even out.

We also spent a couple nights in the booming town of Eskilstuna, where Lillit and her brother Lua have an apartment. Marie gave me the grand city tour by day and we did a little dancing at Harry's 1/2-price-Wednesdays by night. There were more bike rides, movie and brownie nights (which turned into more of a brownie and falling asleep night) and "ficas" in the park.
But then it was back to the countryside for one more night.

I was supposed to leave on Thursday. That was before I learned the little fact that Marie's family has an island. And on that island they have a cabin. And Thursday night was the perfect time to go stay in this cabin on that island. There was really no debate. Stockholm can wait.

We took a rowboat, late in the evening, across the lake. And the next day, got up early to enjoy breakfast on the porch and canoe our way to a nice sunny rock for a little basking. We only had a half day there, but it was well-worth postponing my train ride. Besides...a half day of outhouses is sometimes enough.

lillit and marie