A Family, of sorts

Krakow Travel Blog

Vincent, me, Rob and Stephen
By Sunday, I didn't have to worry about hanging solo anymore (or finding random friends in the street). Rob from Canada followed to Krakow, bringing along 2 young Swedes he had picked up in the Berlin Hostel. This is how we formed our little Krakow family of four. Stephen and Vincent, from Stockholm, are 10 days into their summer Euro-trip. They're both 18 and very entertaining...to say the least.

After the third day of not talking to a soul in my hostel and being woken at 7am by hours of clanking and clattering from my otherwise invisible roommates (this is very poor hostel form, by the way) I decided to change hostels. I moved in with the boys to the much livelier--but surprisingly quieter in the mornings--Hostel Giraffe.
family dinner
The place was packed with Canadians and a few other Americans, and everyone got to know each other very quickly. The hostel itself was probably the best I'd stayed in so far. Full kitchen, pool table, bar, wifi...the list goes on. And it was clean. That's always nice.

Our quartet stayed pretty close for the four days together in Krakow. Occasionally, I'd venture out on my own in the attempt to track down some alleged crypts or closed galleries. But usually you could find us in one spot, figuring out a way to escape the heat and humidity.

We took advantage of the nearby open market and hostel kitchen, and decided to make dinner one night. Actually, the boys came up with the idea, but somehow--after answering one too many questions on cooking solutions--I got stuck as head chef.
they became really close during their travels
How does this happen? I'm not domestic! Here's the one sexist downfall to being the only girl in the group. Little do they know that my dinners alone are usually some variety of cereal. But I have to admit, our dinner of chicken, potatoes and asparagus turned out quite marvelously. Of course, anything home-cooked would have tasted great after weeks of all the döners, kebabs and schwarme one can handle. But either way, it was nice to get a full meal in the comfort of our hostel.

We explored the nightlife a little more as well. Some nights quieter than others. This included heading back towards Kazimierz for a couple beers and great get-to-know-you discussions, then a long walk in pursuit of a club called Kitsch. It was especially entertaining to watch a drunk Stephen ask the burliest group of Polish guys on the street, where the known "gay friendly" bar was. They laughed in his face.

But we eventually found it. And a few drinks and dances later, we were greeted by daylight as we stepped out of the club. (I should point out that I swear the sun sets at 11 here and rises somewhere around 3!) But still, it was late (or early) enough for the old folks and bed was calling.
family dinner
they became really close during th…
they became really close during t…
bus ride
bus ride
thats just how they are
that's just how they are
kebab: breakfast of champions