Crossing the Atlantic

Frankfurt am Main Travel Blog

I left New York with a glow.

It may have something to do with cramming into the subway car like those damn sardines who have never known the meaning of personal space, with my (I hate to admit) overstuffed bag hugging my back, in the sticky 90 degree weather. But I like to think it's mostly the knocking realization of what lies before me.

It all begins tonight. That is, unless you want to get technical and say it began a week ago when I (once again) left the hassle of the working world for the lighter side of city hopping. Or three months ago when I packed up and left Seattle. Or 27-and-a-half years ago, for that matter, when two adventurous creatures in their own right decided to pop out a third child, whose DNA formed with an extra strand of wanderlust and a soul so restless, even her legs can't stay still.
not heavy. not heavy at all.

But for the sake of my official year abroad story, we'll say it begins tonight. When Singapore airlines takes me over the Atlantic and away from my American life.

I've been planning this trip for so long (I believe it was something like 1 year, 6 months and 7 days since my friend Victoria planted the idea of a 'round the world trip in my head) it kinda felt like it would always be a dream in the distant future. Well, my friends, that future is here. Not sure when the reality of it all will finally catch up with me. Perhaps in 3 days when I realize I have no place to stay. That oughta knock the reality right into me.

The decision to go on this journey, at this point in my life, is pivotal and necessary. Whenever I imagined a fast-forwarded version of my life, it always included something as big as this. Everything about my personality screams for the challenge that this year will provide. And if it weren't for the fact that I'm immediately meeting up with my parents once I reach Berlin, I'd feel monumentally independent right now.

blurbmoi says:
I so envy you! I will use this as motivation to finally take a trip longer than 2 months!
Posted on: Jul 08, 2008
nabilbo says:
Good luck for your european trip!
Posted on: Jun 10, 2008
not heavy. not heavy at all.
yep...pretty sure we got every pos…
yep...pretty sure we got every po…