A Couple Rocks and a Bit of Rope

Bushmills Travel Blog

blue sky!!!!
I got lost on the way to a bus station that even the locals admit is tucked away into a camouflaged pocket of the city. This resulted in missing, what I thought was, the first bus of the day to the northern coast. Turns out it was actually the ONLY bus. I still don't know if I entirely believe that, but the man wasn't selling me a ticket either way. Fortunately the city train station was in the same building, and 1.5 hours later, I was off to see Giant's Causeway and the rest of the scenic coast.

The train dropped me off in the town of Coleraine, and the bus driver from there accidentally dropped me off in Ballycastle. It was only about 6 miles past where I requested to stop, but the next bus wouldn't be around for another hour.
Carrick-a-rede from above
My day at the Causeway was getting drastically shorter with each mistake.

As I sat on the windy, overcast beach, an amazing thing happened: The clouds went away, the sun came out, and the sky was blue as far as I could see. I took a picture to document the moment in case it went away as quickly as it came.

But to my delight, it remained sunny and blue all day. I think it was God acknowledging that my skin was in an emergency state of Vitamin D deprivation. It's cool God. I accept your apology.

My first destination, once the bus came, was the Carrick-a-rede swinging rope bridge that connects the coast to a small fisherman's island. Dangling 80 feet above the water and swaying with the wind and passenger weight made it an interesting path. The thrill of it is somewhat diluted by the fact that you first have to wait in an obscenely large line of tourists to cross and then wait behind the same people to immediately come on back.
bunch of rocks
It was a cool view though, and as much as I wanted to cross completely without ever grabbing hold, it just wasn't possible with the wind.

From the bridge, I walked/rode to Giant's Causeway. Even though it's technically nothing more than "a bunch of rocks" as some locals put it, I would have to say they're some of the coolest bunch of rocks I've ever seen. The Causeway is the result of an ancient volcanic eruption and is now a maze of hexagonal stairsteps that jut up and down along the coast.

It was the perfect spot for some amazing pictures, and there I was...all alone. I took a great picture of a stranger, just because it was too perfect. When I tried to get him to do the same, the result was disastrous. I guess these are the moments I need to leave to my photoshopping skills.
bunch of rocks
as close as were going to get
as close as we're going to get
Carrick-a-rede