Auf Wiedersehen Berlin

Berlin Travel Blog

The Dom Cathedral
I checked into a hostel for my last night in Berlin. I did this to be closer to the train station and, let's face it, give Márton some space that he had to be craving. I dropped my stuff off at the Heart of Gold Hostel, and what do you know...I made a new friend. Rob from Canada was also staying in the dorm. And since he was traveling alone, spoke english and had no concrete plans for the day, he really had no choice but to be my friend.

Unlike most proud Canadians (and the occasional fearful American) Rob didn't have the usual maple leaf flag on his pack. But let him talk for two seconds and there's no doubt he's a northerner. Because of Rob, I'm now going to say things like "That's a gooder" or "Let's header" because they're just so damn catchy.

For my last day in the city, it was only too appropriate that we aimlessly roamed the streets a bit, checking out the art galleries of Tacheles one last time. (I'm sorry...I'm slightly addicted to that place and feel the need to share it with everyone!) In the name of being cultured, we also hit up some of Berlin's national museums. Every Thursday evening they offer free admission to a number of their main museums, and we decided to take advantage. We checked out the Altes, Pergamon, and Egyptian. All of which housed ancient artifacts from Egypt and the Middle East. It was cool stuff but it always seems a little strange to me to be viewing objects like that in the middle of Germany. Just feels wrong.

After we'd absorbed our daily allotment of culture, we went to join in on a different kind: watching Germany's soccer game with Germans.
Egyptian Museum, Bust of Nefertiti
We squeezed into a half-empty table outside of a bar. This was all fine and dandy until it started to rain. Luckily there were large umbrellas set up on the tables, which only half-way aided us on the outskirts. Oh well. It all worked out in the end...Germany won and only our backs were wet.

We finished the night in that wonderful little jazz-filled red room at Tacheles. I had to enjoy it one more time before I left this city. It was still glorious but we didn't stay too long. For this first time on my trip, I'll have to wake up to an alarm tomorrow. It was going to be a very early morning (by my thus-far established standards), so we decided to header.

German football at Haekscher Markt