GOAL AMERICA!! Estadio Azteca - America V Pachuca

Mexico City Travel Blog

The gang in the stadium.
Sept 13th, we went to the mighty Aztec Stadium...or the Estadio Azteca as the Mexicanas call it. It is an impressive, huge stadium that holds a massive 120,000 people!!! That's like twice the size of the Millennium Stadium (or there abouts). We went with a group of friends from our hostel...Iris, a German girl, Jonothan, also German, a Swiss boy called Tom, Nick the Australian, an English guy called Mann (?!) and a Scots man called Richard. We had some funny looks as we made a point of haggling for and buying cheap America team shirts outside the stadium...not to mention the essential yellow (team colour) poncho as it rains EVERY night this time of the year in Mexico City. We just know some fans were a bit confused to see the 'Gringos' go all out in the team colours for the game, but we just wanted to get in the spirit of things! America (Mexico City's most popular team) were at home at the Aztec to Pachuca.
Iris and I.
America have not had a great start to the season apparently but we hoped to be their lucky charms that night! It was a great experience, the Mexican fans are MAD!! They bring huge flags and massive drums to keep the chants to a beat! America went 0-1 down after 17 mins or so but the fans just sang louder, jumped higher and beat the drums faster in order to spur their team on. We couldn't help but watch the fans as much as we watched the game as they were as entertaining as any show we've been to! America finally scored just before half time after a few shots on target and the fans went mental!! As soon as the goal went in, they started to run up and down the length of the terrace on the backs of the chairs, then jumped on the fence surrounding the pitch and began to climb like lunatics! It is such a sight as they all manage to do this in unison (albeit a few fall off the tops of the chairs).
Richard and John.
We were all feeling a bit better, having made sure we were all decked out in the yellow and blue of the home team. The half time entertainment was great, a real eagle that flew into the stadium to do a few tricks (club mascot) and a silly adult assault course. The America team looked more confident as they ran onto the pitch through a blown up tunnel of a loaf of bread (the sponser) and they did not dissapoint, putting away 2 more goals before the end of the game to win 3 -1. So we were their lucky charms and felt very proud to leave the stadium with the other fans to chants of AMERICA, AMERICA!! We were also pleased to have seen Blanco...Mexico's all time top goal scorer for the National team come on at half time to huge applause...this made up for John's dissapointment at Claudio Lopez being injured. The riot police that were EVERYWHERE in and around the stadium were not even needed and even some of them were smiling at this point...So, a good night all round...what a fab experience!!
Inside the stadium.
Inside the stadium.
John getting all excited!
John getting all excited!
In the Stadium.