Hanging Lake

Glenwood Springs Travel Blog

My mom and I hiked to Hanging Lake in August of 07 because I'd heard so many people talk about how beautiful it was, and they were right.  If you ever find yourself traveling along I-70 through Colorado and you have a couple hours to kill, definitely stop and do this hike.  It only takes about 2 hours round trip, going at an easy pace, and you may want to consider how much time you'll want to spend at the actual lake.  It is a climb the whole way up (but mostly shaded!), and if you're not acclimated to the altitude, it could take a little longer, but coming back down is a breeze.  You can only get to the trailhead for the hike from Eastbound I-70, where the exit is clearly marked "Hanging Lake," but if you are heading Westbound on I-70, you'll have to take the Grizzly Creek exit, get back on 70 going eastbound and watch for the marked exit.  A small pain, but worth it.  The hike itself is pretty fun - a little trail, a little scrambling, etc, and has a lot of great views along the way.  After all, you are in Glenwood Canyon.  When you do make it to the lake, you'll be amazed at the crystal turquoise water and the waterfalls.  It's absolutely stunning.  It's a great spot to each lunch and there are some benches, just remember that it can get crowded, especially on the weekends.

PhinsAndGills says:
I hope to get out to Colorado sometime sooner than later (I have family out there). I'll have to look this up! It';s sounds amazing.
Posted on: Jun 17, 2008