Mein home?

Vienna Travel Blog

Since I started travelling a few years ago, I try not to go to the same place twice. Bruges, Belgium was an exception, but the rule really doesn't apply when it comes to Vienna. I've been there multiple times, I feel strangely at home there, even though I'm not Austrian. There is just something about that Habsburgian capital that just draws me into her spell. My strange love affair with the city began years before I travelled anywhere, or even wanted to, while watching the movie "Before Sunrise" (great movie). I was bewitched by the background, and the legend of Vienna as illustrated through the movie. I had to go there one day. The first time I went, I had come off the train from Czech Republic. I was tired and must admit walking around the "regular" parts of the city around the Sudbahnof I was frankly a little disappointed. Then after a nap and a tasty dinner, my friend and I went strolling around the old city, and my initial disappointment turned into delight, and then euphoria. The majestic buildings, the violinist playing on the street corner, the fantastic coffee everywhere I went, the cultured air, everything I had imagined was true. I've joked that it was like I was some long-lost Habsburg who finally came home. Maybe I had?
photo by: EmyG