COFFEE!

Vienna Travel Blog

Now a word about the coffee. I love coffee. Wherever I go, if the coffee is good I will enjoy it more. It probably affects my opinion of a place as much as its history, cuisine, people, etc. While I am a fan of the coffee in Belgium, Spain, and Croatia, Vienna lives up to its reputation as the world's best in my mind. The sheer variety of how you can have your coffee can be overwhelming. I stuck with the many different varieties with cream. Part of the joy is also the atmosphere in which you're drinking the coffee. Vienna's coffee houses are attractions unto themselves. Beautiful baroque architecture oozing old world charm. The waiters are in tuxedos and serve water with the coffee (nice touch). The desserts rival the coffee (almost). Try and find a dessert that goes with the coffee you're interested in. The best part is you can linger as long as you want, no pressure to leave. (A concept that is unfortunately foreign to us Americans) Now there are hundred of coffee houses in Vienna, and admittedly I've only been to a few. I can happily say I avoided the Starbucks' in Vienna. My favorites include the Cafe Mozart outside the Opera House (no better way to drink coffee outdoors), and The Central Cafe. If you want to try the venerable Sachre Tort, there are 2 places, each claiming to be the best: The Hotel Sachre Cafe and the Cafe Demel. On this debate I weigh in on the Hotel Sachre. The tort is just a little bit fresher tasting, the atmosphere better, and the hotel has the same name for God's sake! I definitely recommend one experience the culture of Vienna, but in order to do so you have to have your coffee (and NOT from Starbucks).

PhinsAndGills says: