The Twelve Apostles, Great Ocean Road

Port Campbell Travel Blog

The Twelve Apostles

We drove via Warnambool (apparently a sister city of Tokyo - they both like Ford, apparently) and commenced the last leg of our journey along the Great Ocean Road. The Twelve Apostles were on the way, and none of us had actually seen them, so it was awesome to stop here along the way.

It was just so different to the northern territory. I had to pull out my wind jacket! There was that exciting breeze that you get only by the sea, and the sun was shining, though it was sort of half overcast and spitting a bit of rain. It was threatening to be, either a really horrible day, or a really brilliant one, which was fascinating.

The sun struck the twelve apostles hard (of which I think there are only eight or nine left) and produced some stunning photos, which sadly, were lost to my silly hard drive failure.

Near Warnambool
The few photos that I salvaged for display here were the few I'd kept in a yahoo pics folder.

Anyway, London Bridge was broken but still amazing to see. The layers in the rock, I think are the most interesting thing. That and the ocean. How can something be so terrible and so beautiful at the same time? The blow holes were really worth seeing too. One particularly creepy one had information about how a ship got wrecked not for from here once (one of many, I'm guessing) and after the wreck, they found bodies in this blow hole. That would have been quite a shock for the person who found them!

Anyway we followed the windy road all the way back, through Torquay - which you should stop at if you have time, we didn't this time though I have stopped there in the past - past Geelong, and finally we arrived back in wonderful Melbourne. Such a nice city to call home! And just on schedule too.

Near Warnambool
London Bridge, Great Ocean Road, V…
London Bridge, Great Ocean Road, …
4,427 km (2,751 miles) traveled