Showers going for twenty cents

Coober Pedy Travel Blog

Salt lake in the desert, somewhere along Stuart Highway. Lots of flies.

We left Dimboola at 7:30am in the morning. This I remember because we were pushed for time getting up to Uluru. It took most of the day to get to Coober Pedy. We kept going along the Western Highway, through Bordertown.

Apparently it's faster to go into Adelaide than to bypass it, but we didn't know that so we took a road that - in my defense - looked a lot shorter on the map. Australia is deceivingly large! Lets just say we were in the middle of Mallee Country (big skies, shrubbery, and lots of red dirt) on a lonely road, with a long way to go to the next lonely petrol station - of which, there was a chance it could have been closed.

AJ said turning the air-conditioning off - which is a reasonable amount to ask for, in the middle of baking heat - would use less petrol. I still don't know if that's true, but either way we made it to the petrol station at the end of the road. I tried to look up the name of the road but it's not on any map I can find of South Australia, if that says anything.

By the end of the day we reached a caravan park/camping ground in Coober Pedy. It was windy as, and very crowded, but we managed to put our tent up. I decided to pay forty cents for a shower. They're twenty cents for two minutes, but I couldn't take a two minute shower. Lucky I had coins.

Salt lake in the desert, somewhere…
Salt lake in the desert, somewher…
Coober Pedy