Yulara Travel Blog

Kings Canyon

Kings Canyon isn't actually that close to Yulara but there's no valid place on this called Kings Canyon in Australia so I've put this entry under Yulara. But roughly, its sort of inbetween Yulara and Alice Springs.

We got there in the late morning. Kevin, Matt and I saw sunrise from the other side of Uluru, then we went back to pick up AJ and the tent, and headed for Kings Canyon. We did what I think is called either the Rim or Circuit walk. I think it was about 7km. It took most of the day, but it was really well worth it. I don't know about the detour though, about half the way through. It did go down into the canyon to a really nice billabong.

Uluru
But at the time I think there was a lot of cursing about the fact that it wasn't a detour of 200m, it was a lot more, and downhill - which meant that we'd have to go back up.

If I remember right, the first bit of the Rim walk was the worst. Because you've got to get to the top of the canyon. But it was only for about 15 minutes or so, it was well worth it when you got up there. Some of the views into the canyon were really spectacular. No hand rails, no nothing. It was definately stunning.

So we did that, and I more or less ran the last stretch because I could see the ice cream stall. Probably not the best idea to do it in the heat of the day, but we didn't have much time. And we had lots of water.

This is where I get a little bit confused, I believe we drove farther up the highway towards Alice Springs, then turned left towards the West MacDonnell Ranges to camp at a site somewhere on this road. At night, a Dingo ate our neighbours shoes!

Kings Canyon, NT