Alice Springs Travel Blog

kevin's photo

We spent the morning driving to Alice Springs. On the way we stopped at a few places; Ormiston Gorge, where we had a nice but very cold swim and saw some cool lizards, Standley Chasm and Simpson's Gap, which was really beautiful.

Alice is a lot more deserted than I thought it would be. I don't mean to pun. And, in Melbourne there's not really a very large Aboriginal population. There were a lot of indigenous people here in Alice Springs. Wandering. Resting. Sleeping. It was really sad to see because it just looked like a lot of the native people here were at a loss for what to do. It was so jarring. I didn't know what to think or do.

We saw a few things here, like a sign that said Todd River, of which there was only a river bed of course.

Alice Springs Reptile Centre
Apparently a river used to run right through Alice Springs. Now, not so much. We also visited the Anzac memorial. After that I think we went - by my bidding - to the Alice Springs Reptile Park, where I bought a tshirt. We got to hold a bunch of native reptiles like the blue-tongued skink, the two-headed skink, bearded dragon, snakes and things like that. I really like reptiles, in case you didn't know. So, we did that and strangely I can't remember where we stayed that night. Oh, I think we may have actually... yes, that's right, we more or less raced back down the Stuart Highway to get to Coober Pedy again later that night. I think that was probably the latest we'd arrived at any campsite. Was it Coober Pedy? See I'm not sure now. But we ended up somewhere, rather late. 'Cause I remember AJ being annoyed that I needed the toilet a little way after Kulgera.

There was something frustrating about getting as far as Alice Springs. From there, Devils Marbles, Kakadu National Park, even Darwin didn't seem that far. It seemed frustrating to have come this far, had places like these in reach, and had to turn back. But we did, we said good-bye to the Northern Territory and headed for home.

kevins photo