Moskou, 31 March

Moscow Travel Blog

Kremlin

Today is an exciting day; I'm going to try and 'do' Moskou on my own. Barbara has to work. Armed with my Lonely Planet, I step in to the metro and get on my way. I bought a 10 strip metro card, so I don't have to stand in line all the time. My first stop was the Kremlin. I thought it would be really busy, but I was the only one at the ticket office. After buying a ticket, I had to drop of my bag, go through security and show my ticket. I thought that the Kremlin was just one big building, but it's like a small village. On the left are the goverment buildings and you're not allowed to go near them. I man with his wistle will let you know when you get to close.  On the right side is a very ugly and big building, which is a concert hall I think.

Ivan the Great belltower, Kremlin
So I just kept on walking. I only saw some people going to there work, but now other tourists. Strange.

I went trough a gate and then I was on a square with 4 churches. 2 of them were being restored. They looked beautiful though, with goldon domes. The inside was amazing. Everything is decorated with paintings and icons. All the pillars, walls, everything. Lots of gold and red. I liked the Assumtion cathedral the best. It was more open and spacious then the others.  You're also next to the Great Kremlin palace. Unfortunetly you are not allowed to go in. The Kremlin is surrounded by a park. Some parts are within the Kremlin walls and it gives a nice view over the river and the city. Just outside the Kremlin is a park called Alexandrovsky garden.

Annunciation cathedral, Kremlin
They were allready preparing the soil for new flowers and plants. It must look very nice then. Now it was all a bit grey. In this garden you'll also find the Tomb of the unknown soldier.

By this time I was getting realy cold. The sun is out, but it's not warm enough yet. So I warm up myself with a nice coffee and some cake and try to plan my next visit. Because it's dry and sunny I want to do more walking and I decide to do another walking tour from my guide. This one is suppost to take me trough nice architecture, parks and off course churches. It is a realy nice walk. It starts at Ulitsa Arbat. This area is full of touristshops, but as soon as you make a left turn to another street your are in a nice quiet area with high appartment buildings.

Kremlin behind me
Most of them nicely decorated, some with Art nouveau details. I notice that there are small parks everywhere. This can be a really green city. Maybe I have to visit in summer once? The walk ends on a very busy street. There are roadworks going on, there is dust and noice everywhere. The contrast is a bit to much after the nice walk I just had. I make my way to the Catherdral of Christ the Saviour. This is a massif church on a hill along the Moscow river. It's white with golden domes. It is nice and warm this afternoon, so I sit down on a bench and relax for a bit. Hope I don't get a sunburn:-)

Behind the church is a bridge from which you can see the big statue of Peter the Great standing on his ship. They are not very fond of this statue, because Mr Tsereteli made the statue for the US.

Cathedral of Christ the Savior
It was supposed to be Columbus, but no city in the US wanted it and after 5 rejections he decided that it would be Peter the Great and wanted to put it along the Moscow river. It's a quit nice statue I have to say, but I can see why they don't really like it. When you cross the bridge you  have a nice view on the Kremlin. It looks very big from here. On the other side of the bridge is another small walk, with more beautiful baroque churches with goldon and coloured domes shines in the sunlight.

I end this day again in a coffee bar. Being a tourist is very exhausting! But I love to just walk around and take in all the sites, smells, sounds, ect. Barbara picks me up for dinner near by. We have beaf stroganof. You need to when your in Russia! It is really good after along day of siteseeing.

church