Kasane

Maun Travel Blog

Hello, guys,

This’ll be a quick entry; just a quick hi to say I’m in Kasane and I’m alive. Here are my notes:

Botswana: more donkeys than people.

Okavango Delta: awesome, I’ll tell you about it later.

Phone reception is on and off.

Tour: nearing the end, which will be bittersweet because I’ve met some really cool people – on the plus side, I’ll still have half my trip to go when the tour’s over.

Tomorrow: game driving and river cruising, then on to Vic Falls for lion walking, etc.

Will tell you more in a few days time!

Chelsea says:
Botswana is certainly a good spot for watching wildlife. But, as with most places it depends on what time of year you go, and what kind of luck you have. If you're trying to decide where in Africa to go on safari, most people seem to toss up between Botswana, South Africa and Kenya/Tanzania. I've been told that Botswana is a more environmental experience than East Africa, but obviously in East Africa you get the open savannahs of the Masai Mara and the Serengeti, and of course, if you go at the right time of year, you get to see the great wildebeest migration, so... it's a tough one. I loved Botswana: I saw a leopard in Chobe and lots of elephants, and the Okavango was a unique experience. It's a river that eventually becomes an inland delta where you can see wildlife on foot or even on a plane. On the other hand... I've also been told that going to Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania is like stepping into a scene from Lion King, which sounds pretty incredible. In the end it's really your call... just don't expect to be blown away immediately by Botswana, it kind of hits you slowly, and the more time you spend there, the more you will come to appreciate it.
Posted on: Aug 06, 2007