Cape Town

Cape Town Travel Blog

Hey, all,

Ah! I have just six minutes of Internet time left, so I won't be able to fill you in on everything; but here it goes:

The stop-over in Johannesburg was fine: I didn't get killed in the 30 minutes I was there. I met a cool guy on the plane who's from Zimbabwe, but lived in New Zealand for the last six years. He has a rare condition (it's some form of cancer) and he had all his life support equipment with him. He told me doctors said he had three to five years to live. After that I felt kind of, I don't know... strange. What do you say to someone who knows they have only a few more years to live? Anyway, he was on his way home to see his family while he still could, so that's good for him.

Now, I'm in Cape Town, and I've been told it's been raining for the past two days – that’s unusual for this time of year, apparently. Today I walked down Long Street, which is the main backpacker area in Cape Town, I think. It's a pretty cool street, although I find it scary at times. Everyone on the street looks dodgy. Even the tourists look dodgy, and that includes me! Perhaps I'm just nervous about being here on my own. It didn't help that the staff at the backpacker's I'm staying at cautioned me to be careful. They said I shouldn't carry a big bag around, because that screams "mug me"! There are "security guards" outside some shops, but they look like they could just be any old man or woman off the street...

Table Mountain is awesome by the way; there's a great view of it from the backpacker's place! At the moment the "Table Cloth" (a white cloud that sits on top of the mountain sometimes) is on, though.

I have lots more to say but I don't have any time left, so I'll write more later.

See ya!

Chelsea says:
Hehe, in hindsight Long Street wasn't that bad at all... Before I typed this I think I'd just spoken to a lady from the hostel who gave me a good scare about it :P
Posted on: Apr 22, 2008
karolinaka says:
Cool, dropped in here since I´m going to SA myself, and my husband to be is going to live in Long street! (Oh no!) :o)
Posted on: Apr 15, 2008
frankcanfly says:
South Africa.... this is my next big trip!
Posted on: Jun 15, 2007