Back in Cape Town

Cape Town Travel Blog

I made to Cape Town – just! For the first time, I thought I was going to miss my plane.

I was flying from Maun to Johannesburg, and from Johannesburg to Cape Town. When I reached Johannesburg, I found my bags quickly, and joined a queue.

I’d been in line for some time when I realised South Africa has the same customs procedures as Australia... I had to declare my beaded jewellery, wood crafts and baskets! With horror I noticed I was in the “nothing to declare” line! After a great deal of faffing around, I changed queues and settled down only to realise I didn’t have a customs form. I’d never felt so disorganised in my life!

Finally, I found a customs form, but I hadn’t completed it by the time a customs officer asked to have a look at it. I think he must have noticed how frazzled I was, because he looked at me and said “It’s fine, just go through”. Phew!

When I emerged from the airport I was greeted by the usual “Taxi? Taxi?” I palmed off the taxi offers, and asked someone where to go for domestic departures. To a different building, they said! At this stage I was cutting it really fine – my plane was about to leave! But after going up about a hundred escalators, I reached the departure lounge just in time for boarding. Luckily, the flight was running late. My gosh, I was sweating! Johannesburg was the last place I felt like getting stuck in by myself, since it’s the murder capital of the world (I think)!

I should thank Air Botswana and South African Airways for being lovely and not losing or stealing my baggage: I sighed with relief when I saw my bag appear on the conveyor belt in Cape Town. And other than the cacophony of screaming babies, both flights were good: they served nice meals and offered chocolate for dessert (I hadn’t eaten proper chocolate in ages because it just melts in the heat in Namibia and Botswana).

When I stepped off the plane, a brisk breeze struck me in the face and I thought, “What the hell? Why is it cold?” But it’s a welcome change to the heat!

I have a few things I want to do in Cape Town. I have yet to see Table Mountain and Robben Island, so they’re at the top of my list.

I’ve added a lot of bunch of Earthwatch updates. Other than that, that’s all from me for now. Enjoy the photos!

Cape Town